At ResFest Chicago at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 6th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

At ResFest Chicago

Howdy from the Windy City,

I've been asked to help out with the XL H1 demo at the Chicago ResFest, which goes today through Sunday. Nothing formal like Jan's HVX presentation (if it was something of that magnitude, Canon would have sent out one of their own tech reps). Nope, all I'm doing is babysitting the camera at a table out in the lounge tonight, Friday night and all day Saturday. No sample video to be shown but a working camera will be there with the power on. For any of our Chicago area members, please be sure to drop by and say hello -- it's always a treat to meet folks from the boards. The lounge area is free. Details and location info is found at:

http://www.resfest.com/index.php?page=venue&id=4

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Anybody in the Chicago area who owns the Sony HVR-M10 HDV deck and is willing to bring it down to the ResFest lounge on Friday or Saturday, I will take you out to dinner at a nice restaurant on my dime. I'd love to confirm for certain one way or the other that the M10 will or will not play back 24F from the XL H1. I have a feeling it won't work but it would be great to know for sure either way. Will be there from 2pm-10pm on the 7th and 12pm-10pm on the 8th.

(I thought about the Apple Store on Mich. Ave., I'm right around the corner from it, but they don't carry the M10 deck).

Old October 6th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Too bad I won't be in Chicago until late October. Try calling or emailing Spot, Chris, see if he can Fed Ex it.

heath
Old October 6th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Oh it ain't *that* high-priority. It's dinner worthy, but not exactly exorbitant shipping charge plus insurance worthy.

Old October 6th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

What about an FX1--they play HD10/HD1 footage (haven't tried the HD100 in 24p mode footage, but that's what this weekend is for).

heath
Old October 6th, 2005, 10:17 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Yeah, last week at ResFest in L.A., Barry Green determined that none of the Sony or JVC HDV cameras nor the JVC deck will play back 24F from the Canon XL H1... the only unknown at this point is the M10 deck, which is why I'm looking for it specifically.

Old October 6th, 2005, 10:21 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

Gotcha. Well, tell ya what, send the Canon XL H1 to me in West Palm Beach, Florida, and I'll do some tests, shoot some stuff, invite Fordham over for some laughs and more shoots and we'll test out the M10 theory.

Can any of the cameras play back 1080i60 footage?

heath
Old October 6th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #8
Barry Wan Kenobi

Heath, if you have access to an M10 deck, I could send you the tape Nate shot at ResFest L.A. and you could see if that would play.

I know that's not quite the same as getting a $9,000 camera sent to you ;) but it might still prove instructive...

Last edited by Barry Green; October 7th, 2005 at 12:28 AM.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

Sure, send it on over. If you still have access to the camera, can you shoot in 1080i60 so I can look at the footage (I assume the M10 will support the regular HDV stuff).

Send me an email (hmcknight@mac.com) and I'll hit you back with my address.

Thanks,

heath
Old October 7th, 2005, 06:02 AM   #10
Trustee

Barry if you're looking to shop out that footage, I've got a deck and a couple of multi format monitors as well here at the office. I'm wondering if playback was some sort of an issue with the footage as well.
Old October 7th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #11
Trustee

Chris,

Will you have the opportunity to test the standard def XL lenses with de XLH1? I am pretty interested to know how it performs in the standard def mode (an SD cam with 16:9 ccds and SDI output worth 9000$ IMO), but I am curious to see by how much the HD footage is compromised by using an SD lens. If the difference is not so great, we could use the 3X lens waiting for a true wide angle HD solution. I know that this question interest other members too...

Have a great Resfest!
Old October 7th, 2005, 06:50 AM   #12
Major Player

Well, if you wanted to try that out Chris, I'm local and I've got the standard 16x XL1s lens
Old October 7th, 2005, 07:11 AM   #13
Trustee

Oh, and you could take some pictures... I never saw a black camcorder with a white Canon lens :)

Last edited by Jean-Philippe Archibald; October 7th, 2005 at 09:03 AM.
Jean-Philippe Archibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

There is an XL2 on the table with a 20x lens; I could get those photos... but not much actual "testing" as it's a pretty limited demo. Just a museum lobby, handheld only... will see what I can do. Somebody want to bring a 3x down? Heh.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders