Infinity focus problems with XLH1 and standard 20x lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 13th, 2014, 07:07 AM   #1
New Boot

Infinity focus problems with XLH1 and standard 20x lens

Dear all, maybe you have some idea to help me out with this:

I have a Canon XLH1 with the standard 20x zoom lens. It's old and when I got it, it had been heavily used already. But it was not until yesterday that I noticed a problem with pulling focus...

When I zoom all the way in on a distant object, I just cannot get it in focus. The camera shows the focus distance (in this case, infinity), though I don't know if the distance measurement is correct.

When I zoom out a little bit, I can focus. Also, when I focus all the way in on a closer (or a very close) object, I can focus without problems...

I already performed the Flange Back Adjustment as explained in the manual, but this did not change anything.

Any ideas on this? What can I do to localize the problem?

Thanks a lot!
Regards,
Dietrich
Dietrich von Richthofen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Infinity focus problems with XLH1 and standard 20x lens

Hi Dietrich.............

Quote:
Any ideas on this? What can I do to localize the problem?

My initial thought is that with long use, one or more of the lens elements are somehow not registering their correct positions under the circumstances you describe. As that's a pure guess, it's not worth much.

The only way to pin this 100% on either the lens or camera (bent/ out of alignment socket etc) is to try another identical lens and see if it performs the same or differently, not so easy if the nearest replacement is 200 km away.

Making things a bit iffy is the service status of the camera/ lens in question - will Canon service/ repair whatever is at fault 8 years after the camera was released? Might be worth asking them. Heck, they may (big "may", 20 to 1 shot) have a lens to hand.

If you can prove the lens is at fault and Canon will not repair it, you could try buying another s/h system that has a dead camera but good lens and take it from there.

Sorry I can't offer much more in the "words of wisdom" line.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Wrangler

First I am not an XLH1 owner, so what I say is speculation.

At least in the USA, Canon support runs for about 7 years after the model is discontinued.

Sure does sound like a back-focus issue. Perhaps your setting changes are not being stored?

You mention pulling focus, is the focus sharp for the distant object at any other indicated distance?
Does using auto focus result in a sharp image?
Does using a different f-stop effect the focus issue?
Old June 15th, 2014, 03:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
The only way to pin this 100% on either the lens or camera (bent/ out of alignment socket etc) is to try another identical lens and see if it performs the same or differently, not so easy if the nearest replacement is 200 km away.
Hi Dietrich,
I am living close to you in 13351 Berlin and have one 20x lens and two XL H1 to compare :)
Norbert Holzmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #5
New Boot

Hi alltogether,

thanks for the help, so far...

@ Don

No, auto-focus & f-stop do not effect the issue. Not sure if understand your first thought... Distant objects are sharp up to a certain distance (couldn't tell how far exactly, maybe like 80 to 100 meters), than they just wouldn't get sharp anymore...

@ Norbert

That sounds great!! Can I take this for an offer to pass by and try to narrow down the problem...? Would be great! How can we get in touch? My mobile: 0179 4795214...

regards!
Dietrich
Dietrich von Richthofen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 01:25 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Well, I've head of "cliff hangers", but this one takes some beating.

How hard can it be for two folks to get together in a city of 3.5 million and get the job done?

Heck, in London (metro pop. 15 million) it's an hour or 1 1/2 at most, what gives here?

Talk to us, peeps.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

We met a week ago and yes, the lens has definitly a problem and should be fixed ;)
Norbert Holzmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:20 AM   #8
Major Player

Re: Infinity focus problems with XLH1 and wide 6X lens

Hi Norbert,
I'm curious if you got it fixed, how long time it took and the cost.
I have got a similar problem to my XL H1 wide angle zoom. The distance readout is at infinity (past 408 m!) for a 7 m distant test pattern at maximum tele zoom. In wide, infinity is not far enough for focus.
It is not possible to adjust the FB setting correctly at the wide end.
It looks like the lens tube suddenly is too short.

Is this a simple mechanical adjustment or an electronic adjustment? The lens seems rock solid and it is not dropped.

Thankful for any ideas from you or anybody else here

Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #9
Trustee

There is a little ring inside the filter mount (very front of the lens) that holds the front element in place. Is it tight? Press the front element with a cloth-covered finger. Does it move? I once had a similar problem, the front element was a little loose because of a loose ring. Tightened it up and all was good.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 11:46 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip :-)

@ Johan
I couldn't fix it. We just compare it to my 20x. Have no contact to Dietrich.
Norbert Holzmann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders