Canon XL H series -- various sample clips - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 30th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #46
Major Player

Impressive. The OIS seems to work incredibly well and the resolution and color are outstanding. No grain, either. Wow...

The compositions are nice, too (unsurprising given your dvx work) but I love especially how the telephoto lens compresses the drops of rain (which seem large since your subject is a small bird) into kind of abstract out of focus blurs. Shot in slow motion that would look particularly beautiful, but it's pretty unbelievable as it is.

Looks like you picked the right camera. Fantastic.
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #47
Disjecta

Black and white stills

I'm in the midst of developing a new Black and white setting and there are also two color shots. All from my son's baseball game:
Attached Thumbnails
Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-bw_baseball1.jpg   Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-bw_baseball2.jpg  

Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-bw_baseball3.jpg   Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-bw_baseball4.jpg  

Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-bw_baseball5.jpg   Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-tara1.jpg  

Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-tara.jpg  
Steven Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #48
Obstreperous Rex

Wow, looking great! I'm tweaking my own B&W preset, can't wait to compare notes with you.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #49
Disjecta

Northwest Sunset

This is why I love living here. This is from a shoot I did last night. These stills are highly compressed but the original footage is pristine and artifact free. This is just to give you an idea...
Attached Thumbnails
Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-lighthouse_sunset1.jpg   Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-pebble_beach.jpg  

Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-discovery_sunset3.jpg   Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-discovery_sunset2.jpg  

Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-discovery_sunset1.jpg  
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #50
Major Player

Steven, pics look good, how did you set up exposure?
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #51
Disjecta

I had to resort to a pretty fast shutter speed, maybe 1/1000? I can't remember exactly. Having shot with the DVX for so long, I'm still getting used to the fact that I can't shut the iris down on the Canon as much.

There's an interesting lens flaring that happens with the 20x lens in that it produces a thick line that is perfectly vertical from top to bottom of the frame. I haven't experienced that with the DVX so I'll be avoiding shooting directly at the sun with the XLH1, which is kind of a bummer because I like those kinds of shots.
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #52
Wrangler

Hey Steve,

In the "pebble" still grab, that is actually not a lens flare but a CCD artifact. Not sure if camera engineers have a more sophisticated name for it, but it has been discussed on DVi every so often as "vertical smear." Bigger and better chips are less prone to get it, but it can happen even to the big dollar broadcast cameras and I've seen it happen on network broadcasts.

If you key word vertical smear, you'll find several threads about it on various cameras. But you've already found the solution: avoid shooting objects so bright compared to their surroundings that they exceed the CCD's capacity to handle them. Here's one of several threads:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...vertical+smear
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #53
Disjecta

Great to know, Pete. Thanks.
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #54
Disjecta

Stills from a trip to the zoo

Took the kids and cam to the zoo today:
Attached Thumbnails
Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-eagle.jpg   Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-peacock1.jpg  

Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-peacock2.jpg   Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-barn_owl1.jpg  

Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-barn_owl.jpg   Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-hawk1.jpg  

Canon XL H series -- various sample clips-hawk3.jpg  
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #55
Major Player

Good work!
Steven, are they deinterlaced frame grabs from interlaced video?
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #56
Disjecta

I use cineform Aspect HD for capturing and it strips the pulldown making it 24p native. I took these stills from the 24p end file.
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:35 AM   #57
Major Player

How much res do you loose when doing that Steven?
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 09:26 AM   #58
Disjecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasser Kassana
How much res do you loose when doing that Steven?
None...it's just extracting information that's already there and stripping away extraneous info. The 24p frames are not actually "processed" in any way so they remain clean.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:55 AM   #59
Major Player

H1 and a ProMist 1/8

http://www.realm.cc/upload/Elton/AhhhCute.m2t
http://www.realm.cc/upload/Elton/Buds2.m2t
http://www.realm.cc/upload/Elton/Buds6.m2t
http://www.realm.cc/upload/Elton/Buds7.m2t
http://www.realm.cc/upload/Elton/BudsSwing.mov

The last one is is slow motion clip in PhotoJPEG 720p QT format. It's a large file, but the quality is good and seems to be reasonably cross-platform compatible.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:38 AM   #60
Obstreperous Rex

Martin Costa's 8bit and 10bit uncompressed stills

Rec'd from Martin Costa:

"I've got a couple of uncompressed stills from my XLH1. One is 8bit and the other 10 bit of the same subject, the difference in colour surprised me. They are 5mb in size."

8bit image, 5.6mb: http://media.dvinfo.net/xlh1/mcwinch418bit.pctx
10bit image, 5.6mb: http://media.dvinfo.net/xlh1/mcwinch4110bitnew.pctx
10bit image, 5.8mb: http://media.dvinfo.net/xlh1/mcgreen10bit.pctx

To view these images, download them to your local drive and re-name the file extensions from ".pctx" to ".pct" and open them with an image browser that supports the Macintosh PICT file format. Most photo apps such as PhotoShop and Paint Shop Pro will do fine.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders