DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   True Manual Lens ??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/53117-true-manual-lens.html)

Brian Gauthier October 21st, 2005 02:29 AM

True Manual Lens ???

Any word on a "true" manual lens for this new bad boy ???

Chris Hurd October 21st, 2005 05:04 PM

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever, but my gut says this is a given.

John Sandel October 21st, 2005 10:45 PM

Just catching up to you all on this new cam. Chris, does the H1 have a different lens mount than the SD line, obviating the existing Canon manual lenses' use? Or would the SD lenses just look bad on the HDV chips?

Matt Irwin October 22nd, 2005 12:22 AM

The lens mount in the H1 is the same as the XL1/2. I believe the lens housing is identical to the 20:1 SD zoom that ships with the XL2.
You could mount the SD lenses on the H1, but they would look terrible-- Those lenses just cant resolve for HD.

Chris Hurd October 22nd, 2005 12:25 AM

The H1 has the same XL lens mount as all previous XL series camcorders and you can put any older XL lens on the H1. However those lenses will not provide HD resolution. They're just fine for SD recording on the H1 though.

Brian Gauthier October 23rd, 2005 07:56 AM

Chirs,

I know your gut probably has the right idea... I am just hoping for a true manual lens w/ the ability to use the rocker to zoom with... I know that the rocker issue will be included with any manual lens that they make, but to have a true iris control on the lens would be a real bonus...

If you hear of anything of the nature please inform me and the rest of the board (which i am sure that you will anyways)...

Thanks again...
Brian

Chris Hurd October 24th, 2005 10:18 AM

The minute *I* hear of anything -- or that anybody else hears of anything -- that is when the first post will be made. My prediction, not based on anything specific except for Canon's previous XL history, is to expect a 3x or 5x wide angle HD lens with autofocus. If you want a longer focal length, say 10x, then the price would go up considerably. I doubt Canon would put OIS on a wide-angle short-throw lens, nor would they add an analog iris controil ring. For a true manual lens like the black XL-series 16x manual but with HD capability, they'll probably do that too, and without OIS or AF or an iris ring. Personally I would love to see a 10x wide angle manual lens but I'm not holding my breath. You know they're working on something. Remember after the XL1 was announced back in 1997 it wasn't until August 1998 that Canon made the first additional XL lens available (and that was the 3x wide angle).

Ash Greyson October 24th, 2005 01:58 PM

The only issue I see would be price... I dont see how they could do a nice HD manual lens for under $3K... probably more like $5K

ash =o)

Jim Giberti October 24th, 2005 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
The only issue I see would be price... I dont see how they could do a nice HD manual lens for under $3K... probably more like $5K
ash =o)

Because of the HD glass issue I'm starting to see the DVXHD as the more viable film making tool. Simply because of the fact that it may be a while before a wide and manual lens is available.

Even with the more limited tele range (13x vs 20x) the fact that it has true manual focus and can be setup as is with a follow focus, and the fact that it has a wider lens albeit fixed, makes it a more viable camera for scripted work, which is certainly more the application for these as opposed to event work.

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the biggest fans of the XL2 20x lens. The programmable 16 step zoom has made things happen in tough documentary and action work that wouldn't be posssible without and the OIS and the 850mm are invaluable in similar situations.

But for set and location work, if you've only got one lens available and you're going to be working with one form of stabilization or another, the wide, manually focusable lens with the DVX will be much more practical than the 20x.

If the intent was to add a Mini35, then the Canon would be the way.

Mark Sasahara October 25th, 2005 11:08 PM

It would be nice if they came out with a manual wide angle zoom, say a 2.5-50mm manual zoom and a regular 16x manual, but for HD, that would be great.

The most frustrating things about the auto lenses is there is no way to know what focal length you're at and you don't know your subject distance. And there's the whole rack focus problem.

Chris Hurd October 26th, 2005 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Sasahara
The most frustrating things about the auto lenses is there is no way to know what focal length you're at and you don't know your subject distance.

Mark, I don't understand what you mean here. For focal length, there is a zoom number readout. Sure it's an arbitrary scale of o-99, but somebody will make a handy cross-reference chart for it (just as Barry Green did for the DVX100) so you'll always be able to guage focal length fairly accurately.

As for subject distance, it's built right into the lens. The 20x HD lens offers precise focus distance readout in meters or feet. It's like have a tape measure on the front of the camera.

Quote:

And there's the whole rack focus problem.
Again, not sure what you mean here... rack focus with the 20x HD lens is just as easy as it is on the XL2's 20x lens, with a repeatable focus preset function. You can dial in your precise focal plane change and repeat the same rack focus move all day long. No problem at all.

Mark Sasahara October 26th, 2005 10:18 AM

I took a quick look at the H1 website and everything looked the same. I was skimming, so I missed that.

0 to 99? Are kidding? That's ridiculous. Are there external markings? I didn't see any. It just looked like a black 20X.

I'm pretty much done with prosumer cameras. I use them, but I don't like it. There's just too much wrong, or missing. I half regret buying the XL2. I spend too much time trying to make the picture look like the DVX. And the tiny chip's interline jitter is always a problem.

The 20x auto lens sucks. I own it because of the OIS and it's longer focal length and God forbid, something happens to the 16x. Maybe it's different on the new HD lens, but I don't really care at this point. I'm not wasting any more money buying cameras.

Chris Hurd October 26th, 2005 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Sasahara
0 to 99? Are kidding? That's ridiculous.

It's like the Panasonic DVX in that regard. I agree it's no substitute for a traditional, properly marked lens. But, it's better than nothing.

Quote:

I'm pretty much done with prosumer cameras.
Let me ask you this, Mark... would we keep your interest if DV Info Net also covered the pro market? Been thinking about moving things that way, providing there's an audience for it here.

Bill Pryor October 26th, 2005 01:52 PM

Do you have to set aperture with one of those little annoying knobs or is it like a real lens? I still haven't been able to tell. That little knob thing is a deal killer for me on the smaller cameras.

Mark Sasahara October 26th, 2005 02:08 PM

Chris, I guess a pro section would be good, but there's CML and Cinematography.net. DV Info is a good resource as it is, not sure how adding a pro section would work. I don't think it would hurt.

I'm mainly frustrated with prosumer cameras, not DV Info. Looks like I'll be doing reality TV, so I may not be rid of sausage cams after all. I'll take the money and I reserve the right to complain about it :~) .

DV Info continues to be helpful and I enjoy sharing my knowledge with others.