VL lens on the XLH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 2nd, 2018, 05:32 AM   #1
New Boot

VL lens on the XLH1

Is there any way of using/adapting a VL lens mount to use it on the XLH1?

The reason I ask is because my old EX1 terminated itself and there is one of its lenses I would like to try to use on the XLH1.

The lens is the 250mm F4 mirror. I was wondering if would be possible (if I could get one) to replace the VL bayonet with an XL one.

As always any help will be greatly appreciated.

John
John Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2018, 03:18 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: VL lens on the XLH1

This was kicked around perhaps 20 years ago, and no solution ever came forth that I am aware of. I quote from a 14 year old post on another board.

"This was a speculation about 5+ years ago when the XL1 was in the wings, announcd but not shipping. To make a long story shirt, the VL lens is not suitable for DV in the XL1 - it was designed to provide Hi8 resolution (~420 lines) on the 1/2" CCD of the L1/L2 series camcorder. That would net to about 330 lines on the 1/3" CCD of the XL1 series. And the 8mm minimum focal length [of the standard lens] would not be as wide as the XL1 standard lens.

It probably could be done technically with the proper adapter, but it would not be a good match optically."

The L1/2 were USA models , don't know if that model was used "down under" but if you have access to a machine shop feel free to try.. The body-to-lens electrical handshaking may not work. The resolution loss is likely due to optical anti-aliasing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders