DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Official lux ratings now on Canon site (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/54409-official-lux-ratings-now-canon-site.html)

Chris Hurd November 15th, 2005 05:18 AM

Official lux ratings now on Canon site

Haven't noticed anybody mentioning this yet... Canon USA has updated their XL H1 specifications page to include stated lux ratings (whatever those are worth... most folks here know that I am no fan of minimum lux ratings at all). Here they are:

60i at 1/60 shutter speed = 7 lux
30F at 1/30 shutter speed = 4 lux
24F at 1/48 shutter speed = 6 lux

Frederic Segard November 15th, 2005 07:21 AM

Compared to the XL2 at 5.5, 6.5 and 10 respectively, that's not bad at all considering the much denser chips! I wonder if the latitude is going to get a bit hit?

Robert Niemann November 15th, 2005 04:13 PM

How can that be: these disparate values?

7 <-> 5.5
4 <-> 6.5
6 <-> 10

Robert Niemann November 15th, 2005 04:15 PM

How can that be: these disparate values?

7 <-> 5.5
4 <-> 6.5
6 <-> 10

An what are the lux ratings of the JVC GY-HD100?

Steve Mullen November 15th, 2005 05:59 PM

This week's HDV@Work (from Video Systems magazine) has my REVISED story on the XL H1. I cover 24F and the method of recording 24F and 30F.

Missing from the HDV@Work story is this very interesting information:

The HDV@Work story has been revised to reflect Canon’s decision that all information on the process by which “24F, 25F, and 30F” video are generated is proprietary information. This has several ramifications. First, Canon takes the position that any information imparted by Canon employees, distributors, or dealers on the “process” by which these formats are generated cannot be considered valid by the press or potential customers. They claim the actual details are known only by a small number of Canon employees. Second, unless this—in my view highly unwise decision—is reversed, no information on the process will be forthcoming from Canon.

I found out Canon's "position" when they objected to 24F information in my first version.

Also missing from the HDV@Work story is this consise sensitivity data:

Canon provided sensitivity data for the XL H1 in both 1080i60 and 24fps modes. With the standard kit 20X HD lens (at Wide Angle) in Auto Mode and with a Gain of 18dB, the data are:
60i, 1/60 shutter speed = 7 lux
24F, 1/48 shutter speed = 6 lux
30F, 1/30 shutter speed = 4 lux

For the XL2, comparable data are.
XL2 with the standard kit 20X lens (measured at Wide Angle) in Auto Mode with a Gain 18dB:
60i, 1/60 shutter speed = 5.5 lux
24P, 1/48 shutter speed = 10 lux
30P, 1/30 shutter speed = 6.5 lux

These data indicate: (1) The H1, whose CCDs have about 2.5X more elements, is only slightly less sensitive than the XL2 in 60i mode, which is a major accomplishment; and (2) Canon’s 24F will deliver almost a half a stop greater sensitivity than shooting 24p using the XL2.

Barry Green November 15th, 2005 07:13 PM

Progressive-scan is about a stop slower than interlace. That's why on the XL2, 24p@1/48 needs about twice the light as 60i@1/60.

On the XL H1, it's not progressive scan, so they don't take the "hit" in sensitivity that true progressive chips take. It generates its 24f and 30f off of an interlaced scan, so 60i @ 1/60 (7 lux) is about as sensitive as 24f @ 1/48 (6 lux). The difference could probably be attributed to the shutter speed differential.

Which has me all the more firmly convinced that "24F" is the same thing as Sony's CineFrame 25, just clocking the CCD at 48hz instead of 50hz.

Steve Mullen November 15th, 2005 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=Barry GreenWhich has me all the more firmly convinced that "24F" is the same thing as Sony's CineFrame 25, just clocking the CCD at 48hz instead of 50hz.[/QUOTE]

I agree -- I think they are using Sony's next gen CCD -- because they need a far smaller volume that does Sony -- and Sony's DSP chip. These new CCDs likely can be produced only low volume and are very expensive.

When I asked Canon to confirm a "constant sampling interval" they declined to confirm this. Which, seems strange if they are really clocking at 48Hz. You would think they would want to trumpet this advantage over Sony.

Which makes me think Canon's sudden desire to confirm nothing -- which came a week after I published our preview of the H1 -- was due to pressure by Someone who is making parts for Canon.

The decision was made in Japan and does not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of Canon USA. That increases my belief this is a political decision to prevent the loss of face by another Japanese company.

-----------------------

If it is Sony who is making the CCDs, then it indicates that Sony's Z1/FX1 replacement won't have 24P either. But will they go 24F or stay with CF24?

It also make me wonder why Canon may have gone back to Sony for CCDs and not used the new Panasonic CCDs. And, why they went 1080i rather than 720p60 at $10K. One possibility is that Sony did the entire electronics design for Canon.

Frederic Segard November 15th, 2005 08:57 PM

If it's the case, I find Canon's position to be precarious at best! To borrow another car analogy, it's like Chrysler buying Ford engines for its cars. One can only drive a certain political correctness road in order to keep face for so long. Alas, such uneasy alliances can be very detrimental, not only financially, but consumer satisfaction-wize too.

Evan C. King November 16th, 2005 12:10 AM

Electronics is not the same as cars. They buy parts from each other all the time because the productions CAN be compared and sometimes for a company there is not enough reason to build all their own components if they don't use enough volume.

For example Canon makes glass so all Canons use Canon glass. Panasonic sometimes uses leica glass and Sony uses Zeisis glass sometimes. Panasonic and Sony aren't renound glass makers like Canon and therefore have no need to create their own special technology glass so they buy it from other companies, the same can be said for ccds and all kinds of other parts inside video cameras.

It's not uncomon.

Steve Mullen November 16th, 2005 07:20 AM

iT'S DEFINITELY NOT UNCOMMON. Japanese companies tend have the strong desire to do everything. So at the Sony Showroom in Ginza there was a Sony Furniture area. There is Sony Banking and Sony Insurance.

When Toshiba wanted a pro Hi-8 camera, they used Sony designed boards made in Toshiba factories.

But the real key is that almost none of the products made by the big three are designed and built by the big three. Their marketing departments come up with a specification. Sometimes it goes to only one "loyal" subcontractor. Loyal because they have financially helped him grow his business. Loyal, because like a favor from the Mob, he is now dependent on them. This loyalty ensures the price for the new camcorder will be VERY low. And, he can be squeezed, if for example, the yen/$ changes.

Other times, the design may go out for bids amoungst the loyal sub-contracrors.

When a company is chosen, S/P/J engineers live with him as the product is developed and built. (Parts are often bought from the big company so money flows back.) Finally the finished products are put in "Sony" boxes.

In the old days, these sub contractors were only in Japan. (And they sub contracted parts even to housewives!) Now they are in Taiwan (for design) and China (production).

At the consumer level, this practice enables Sony for example to have a rolling string of new products. It orders, say 10000 units at time.

The JVC HD1 was orderd in batches of 2000 a month. If it sold well, they could order a batch more. If not, they could take the minimum contract order. If these don't sell, they are sent to discounters.

Dell has used this model to grow with almost no R&D costs and no factories. Apple is now using it.

The good thing about it is that with much/most of the design being done elsewhere, these design companies get invaluable experience while Dell/Apple helps them. And Dell/Apple saves a bundle by not having to pay for American R&D.

Eventually, the design company may design their own product. Or engineers may leave and start a company. I strongly recommend Olivia Syntax LCD HDTVs. A combination American marketing/Taiwan design that contracts to China for production. Like Dell they buy parts where-ever.

Like Sony's new Bravia LCD HDTV -- the LCD is from Samsung. Who by the way has filed many. many more patents these last years as has Sony.

Bottom line, not only is Canon dependent on Sony, increasingly Sony is dependent on Korean companies. And, they may all buy parts from China.

Robert Niemann November 16th, 2005 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Green
Which has me all the more firmly convinced that "24F" is the same thing as Sony's CineFrame 25, just clocking the CCD at 48hz instead of 50hz.

Barry, You mean Cineframe 24, right? If 24F really shows the same problems, like Cineframe 24 does, then 25F (at the PAL version) would be the better choice for shooting "progressive style", I guess. I hope, Adam J. Wilt will make a test to answer this "constant sampling interval" question very soon.

Barry Green November 16th, 2005 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Niemann
Barry, You mean Cineframe 24, right?

No, CF24 is a very weird, very different animal entirely. I don't expect that 24F has anything in common with CF24 at all.

What I was saying is, Cineframe 25 is one field read out at 50hz. If Canon reclocked the CCD to 48hz and extracted one field, that could provide them with 24F. And it would be far superior to Cineframe 24, no matter how you slice it. It would not, however, validate Canon's claim that it's the equivalent of 24p -- not by any comparison of resolution. It would 100% match the "feel" of 24p, and the temporal motion sampling of 24p, but it would be much lower resolution. I figure that's what they're doing, and using the Digic II DSP to interpolate the other field.

Robert Niemann November 16th, 2005 05:38 PM

Ah, now I understand. A very interesting idea: Canon does not interpolate from two fields, but only uses one field to generate the second. Well, we will see soon.

Barry Green November 16th, 2005 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Niemann
Ah, now I understand. A very interesting idea: Canon does not interpolate from two fields, but only uses one field to generate the second. Well, we will see soon.

Remember, that's guesswork. That's what Sony does with CF25. But we don't know what Canon does, and according to Steve Mullen they've pretty much zipped their lips and will not share details of what it does either. So we're all just guessing...

Daniel Weber November 16th, 2005 09:17 PM

Panasonic or Sony chips in new HL1?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
It also make me wonder why Canon may have gone back to Sony for CCDs and not used the new Panasonic CCDs. And, why they went 1080i rather than 720p60 at $10K. One possibility is that Sony did the entire electronics design for Canon.

Maybe Panasonic didn't want to work with Canon? If they gave the use of their 720p/60 chips to Canon wouldn't that steal sales from the HVX200? Panasonic has made a major point of showing the flaws of HDV. Why would they want the chips that allow the major advantage they have over current HDV cameras (motion) to be used in the HL1?

Just a thought.

Dan Weber