Why have video lenses anyway? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old November 25th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Nattress
Well, they needed to design new lenses for the reduced chip size over 35mm - that's true, but they also had to make them a lot sharper too.

It's not the sharpness of the lens, per se, but how sharp the lens has to be for the pitch of the pixels in the CCD. The smaller the pixels, the greater their resolution in lp/mm, and hence the lens has to be sharper too. 35mm is a lot bigger than 2/3" and hence can get away with less sharpness for the same amount of resolution in the final image.

Graeme
That makes since, so the reason why they don't have to worry about that so much with the pro35 is because the pro 35 takes advantage of the full 35mm for the lens instead of just the smaller part that would be used for a 2/3" chip. Thanks for clearing that up for me Graeme!
Old November 25th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #17
RED Problem Solver

As long as the relay lens has enough rez to get the projected 35mm image down to the CCDs, you're laughing.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Actually,the answer is very simple.The xl series are ment to be compact and in order to get the same FOV as the 20x with a 35mm lens you're going to have to carry around a lens that's about 1m long :)
Pete Tomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 10:12 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Nattress
A 35mm lens is not sharp enough for HD though. That's why Panavision designed their primo-digital lenses as they found that their existing lenses were not sharp enough for 2/3" CCD HD, never mind 1/3" HD.
I have heard that too.. Doesn't it have to do with the lines per millimeter difference of a smaller sensor? Based on that, you would probably get more sharpness out of a lens designed for super 8 cameras than from a 35mm lens, because super 8 is much closer to the size of a 1/3" CCD. That also would have almost no magnification introduced. I would also think S-16 lenses would produce better results on a 2/3" camera than a 35mm lens.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 10:15 PM   #20
RED Problem Solver

If everything else was equal, yes.

Graeme
Old November 30th, 2005, 10:23 PM   #21
Trustee

Could you elaborate?
Old December 1st, 2005, 08:01 AM   #22
RED Problem Solver

You're right that lenses designed for 8mm or 16mm would be a better match for video lenses, both in focal length and sharpness. By saying all things being equal, I'm saying that although 8mm lenses should be a lot sharper, I doubt they are because so much less is expected of 8mm that some sacrifces are made.

Graeme
Old December 1st, 2005, 08:43 AM   #23
Trustee

I understand what you mean now. Oh yeah, definitely. Specially in the case of Super 8. The cameras and lenses were of consumer grade, which I wouldn’t think could resolve HD and most had a fixed lens. More a match in terms of FL and being designed for the smaller plane. But I would think S-16 lenses like Zeiss would be up to the task of resolving HD and would be a better match for a Cinealta than a 35mm lens.
Not sure about old 16mm C mount lenses though. But the newer PL lenses should give good results I think.
Old December 1st, 2005, 08:53 AM   #24
Trustee

For anyone interested, Nikon made quite a selection of ultra-wide Nikkor lenses:

In 'fisheye':

6mm f/2.8 (round view)

8mm f/2.8 (round view)

and also the frame-filling FULL view 16mm f/2.8

In the more worthwhile non-fish eye lenses with 'FULL undistorted frame':

13mm f/5.6 (YES! - full 118 degree coverage without barrel distortion)

15mm f/3.5

18mm f/3.5

20mm f/3.5 & f2.8

With the Nikkor to Canon XL adapter, there is still the x7 equation of course. A wide-angle adapter such as the Optex .7 or RED EYE .5 & .7 could be used on some of these lenses to bring back the wider view (although unfortunately not on the bulbous front glass of the 13mm & 15mm, except maybe if the Red Eye is placed 'behind' the main lens).

I've not used the Canon XL 35mm lens adapter, but one advantage of using the Nikon adapter it has no extra glass in the adapter itself. It is also nice to be able to use the F/stop aperture ring on the Nikkor lens body instead of having to use the XL body dial, such as needed when using Canon black XL-16X manual lens.

(I've been using the Optex wide angle and Red eye range of adapters during this past summer & autumn, and so will try to write a review of my findings - as soon as I've caught up on the back-log of magazine articles and video editing tasks that I need to finish this winter!).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders