Compare XL-H1 to DSR450 please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old November 29th, 2005, 06:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Compare XL-H1 to DSR450 please

Hello :-)

There was a discussion on the XL2 forum and someone brought up this issue and I wanted some opinions that the guys over there couldn't give, so this piggy-backs on that prior discussion.

Although the Canon is new, maybe someone here can give me some insight.

OK the 400 is 4:3 and won't do 24p, the 450 can do 16:9 and 24p. The large chips and great signal processing and optics make these cameras real winners for the price.

And I agree that although the Canons SD cams give great picture... they can't compare to the bigger cameras like the above mentioned Sony's.

But how would you stack the 450 up against the new Canon XL-H1?

Same goes, the Canon chips are smaller and the DSP may use a lower spec, so the image on the Sony's will have those advantages... But HDV with the higher resolution and the higher color space will alter the result.

What do you think??

And let's not consider price, just image comparisons.

Thanks !!
Old November 29th, 2005, 07:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Well assuming that you're talking only about SD pictures.

I would say that you will get a much much nicer image in almost every way from the 450, and it's 2/3" chips, pro-lens etc., Than you will from a downconverted 1080i image from the H1.

Of course the H1 isn't really available yet, so this is based on what i've seen off of the Sony Z1.

Having also shot DV off of sony's previous full size DV camcorder.
John M Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M Burkhart
Well assuming that you're talking only about SD pictures.

I would say that you will get a much much nicer image in almost every way from the 450, and it's 2/3" chips, pro-lens etc., Than you will from a downconverted 1080i image from the H1.

Of course the H1 isn't really available yet, so this is based on what i've seen off of the Sony Z1.

Having also shot DV off of sony's previous full size DV camcorder.
Thanks for the feedback!

What about the comparison if you up-converted the 450?

Thanks Again !!
Old November 29th, 2005, 09:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well, I've used some upconverted DV footage in an HDV project, and it was better than I thought it would be. Still comparitively the HDV footage was a lot cleaner, detailed and visually compelling as you would expect.

So regarding HD footage, I'm sure the H1 would give a much better image than the upconverted 450.

So it really matters what your distribution format is, and choose or rent the camera that's best for that particular shoot.
John M Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #5
Trustee

Have you shot much with a 2/3" CCD camera? HUGE difference. I would pick the 2/3" SD counterpart to any 1/3" CCD HD/HDV camera.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
Have you shot much with a 2/3" CCD camera? HUGE difference. I would pick the 2/3" SD counterpart to any 1/3" CCD HD/HDV camera.

ash =o)
Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

I feel that the 450 would give me a superior DV picture quality as well, but so many people have argued that point against me that it is frustrating. That is why I turn to this community for opinion, I trust your points of view.

As far as the right camera for the right delivery... well that is getting more difficult. I did a job for a major franchise and the footage was specifically designed to be shown on portable DVD players. No problem when viewed on the 10" screen or shown on an NTSC TV.

But I inadvertently viewed it on the clients HDTV in his office and I was shocked that the beautiful footage had now revealed every flaw possible. Now the colors were vivid and beautiful, but where I used a slow motion filter, or the steady move filter, the artifacts and jaggies were very visible. Also DV has aliasing issues anyway, but they were more evident on the HDTV.

So now-a-days you never know when a client will pop your program into a HDTV and I don't want to be embarrassed again.

What do you guys think a solution would be for a case like I described above?

Thanks!
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #7
New Boot

Compare XL-H1 to DSR450

IF you can hold off for the XDCAM HD should give a good result in SD and HD. Price is better than DSR450.

Cheers Ian
Ian Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 06:26 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Richards
IF you can hold off for the XDCAM HD should give a good result in SD and HD. Price is better than DSR450.

Cheers Ian
Hello,

It looks like the 450 can be had for around $16K whereas the XDCAM HD will be around $20K. If I hear you correctly, you think street prices will be under $16K. Is that what you are saying?

That would be a great value as the XDCAM HD will do SD in DVCAM mode, so you have the best of both worlds.

However the dilemma still remains; what to shoot when your primary distribution is SD but is occasionally shown on HDTVs. The XDCAM HD may also be the solution here because the SD quality would certainly be better than a 1/3" chip camera.

Now the XDCAM HD uses 1/2" chips rather than 2/3" chips like the 450, so might the 450 still produce a better SD image?

Thanks!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders