XLH1 Chroma Keying at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 3rd, 2005, 03:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XLH1 Chroma Keying

Would anyone know if you can Chroma key using the DV mode on the XLH1 or the HD mode. Which works best, it is probably the High Defention.

Thanks
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 10:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Go HD. DV is practically useless for chroma-keying. It doesn't have the color space HD does.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 04:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply. If i do use the high defenition mode on the HLH1 to chroma key, can i still use the DV mode on the camera for the rest of the movie (that is not to be chroma keyed) and get the film look on both modes. I want the whole movie to have the film look.

Thanks.
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 11:47 AM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brown
Go HD. DV is practically useless for chroma-keying. It doesn't have the color space HD does.
Per pixel, HDV has exactly the same color space that DV does.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #5
Wrangler

Color resolution vs. "color space", I think is the questions here. From what I know, HDV has more or less the same color resolution as DV...but the "color space" is different.
Old December 4th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Evans
Would anyone know if you can Chroma key using the DV mode on the XLH1 or the HD mode. Which works best, it is probably the High Defention.

Thanks
Since this camera is in very few people's hands at this point, I suppose you're not likely to get a definitive answer. However, if you get your hands on an XLH1 soon why not test both modes for keying and post some results here? I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in the results and you'll know which method provides the best result for your need.

Having said that, you should be able to pull a quality key with DV or HDV IF you use high quality software and IF your lighting is good. I personally recommend After Effects with Keylight for green screen work. Amazing product. A few years ago it was almost impossible to get a quality key with DV (quality meaning hair detail, good transparency, no "blockiness", etc.). Now I can get a decent key with room lighting and poster board.

Philip Williams
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #7
Major Player

Shoot HDV

Using HDV won't really give you any advantage with suppressing color spill on your subject. However, by virtue of the resolution alone your mattes will be much finer.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #8
Trustee

If the delivery format is SD then HDV is a good way to do CK, do the key at HD res and then downconvert or else downconvert to 4:2:2 and key that. Good software doesn't waste those extra pixels.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #9
Major Player

Having done both (only a few times in HD) I've found I can get cleaner mattes from HD.
Just my experience, though. A poster above said he was able to get decent keying with DV. I guess experience is a large part of the trick as well.

Last edited by Eric Brown; December 5th, 2005 at 01:41 PM.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders