XLH1 Help Please! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 3rd, 2005, 07:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XLH1 Help Please!

Hi, would anyone know if i could edit XLH1 Footage on my laptop. My specs to the laptop are

Windows XP Home Edition
1 GB Ram
80GB Internal Memory
160GB External USB Storage Drive (Maxtor)
1.80Ghz Processor
Firewire Port.

I understand that my laptop wont work with high defenition very well but can i still import high defenition footage onto my laptop. I basically want to get a film look with my movies so i need the best way.

Thanks for your help

Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 07:42 AM   #2
Wrangler

Capture of HDV shouldn't be a problem. Any computer with a Firewire (1394a) port that can capture miniDV should be able to capture HDV. Depending on your software, editing may or may not work out ok on your laptop but likely would be slow.

HD-SDI requires high end stuff.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 08:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply that helps a lot. So even if i did capture in DV onto my laptop does that still give me the film look or do you have to be editing in high defenition mode to get the film look.

Thanks Again

Chris
Old December 3rd, 2005, 10:16 AM   #4
Wrangler

Chris, "film look" is a really, really subjective thing and a lot of factors contribute to it. Folks have discussed and debated this more or less continually, mostly in the Film Look Methods and Techniques forum. My own opinion is that, except at the extreme, resolution is a minor factor...DV can look very film-like, or not. HDV can look film-like, or not. Depends on all those many factors and one's own perception of them.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 04:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thankyou for that reply, i understand what you mean. So really it doesnt matter what mode youre in on the camera, however it does depend on wether the camera gives a film look through the lens etc. I will check out those forums.

Thanks a lot.
Old December 4th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
however it does depend on wether the camera gives a film look through the lens etc
It depend more on the lighting, careful camera movements, good story, good audio...
Old December 4th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #7
Wrangler

be aware that you are going to fill up a 160 gig hard drive very quickly. HDV files are large. also, i don't know how this translates with a PC, but my 2 gig RAM mac captures at half speed already, and rendering is not too speedy.

i'd recommend using the money for upgrading your editing systems first and maybe buying a cheaper HDV camera. unless you are just trying to edit footage from someone else's camera.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #8
Trustee

Actually HDV files are the same size as DV files.
Start working with intermediate codecs though and the file size will blow out although codecs such those from Cineform don't create unmanageable file sizes. Start wroking with uncompressed (not that there's any reason to do that) and things will blow out very dramatically.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders