How many early adopters vs. tried&true buyers? - Page 3 at

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 14th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #31
CTO, CineForm Inc.
Originally Posted by Michael Pappas
Am I reading this right!

So the Canon XLH1 24f mode with it's higher res ccd, supposedly beefier codec engine and better optics is only resolving 25 lines more than a Z1U in 25f mode. Is that right?
No. I believe is resolving at least 100-120 lines more vertically, and more horizontally as well.
David Newman -- web:
blog: -- twitter:
David Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 07:27 PM   #32
Yeah, Barry I don't know who "Coursedesign" is (yet), but Scratchpad is on my personal web site. It is also linked from David's Cineform blog.

I readily acknowledge that I'm a hobbyist and not a test engineer. So we need to really arm-twist others (A.J. deLange, you reading this???) who also have production H1's to verify my crude rez tests, and more.

It was also a pleasant surprise -- if validated -- that despite Canon's claim to the contrary, the SD 20x and 3x lenses did almost as well in this limited "sweet spot" testing as the new HD 20x. I was planning on selling my 3x along with my XL2; don't think so now unless it turns out my test was fatally flawed.

I don't have HD SDI (yet), so really hoping someone out there can put the H1 through the paces using that, either uncompressed or via Cineform Intermediate.
Pete Bauer
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. Albert Einstein
Trying to solve a DV mystery? You may find the answer behind the SEARCH function ... or be able to join a discussion already in progress!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders