xhh1 pal vs ntsc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 8th, 2005, 04:29 PM   #1
New Boot

xhh1 pal vs ntsc

Hi people,
It has always been my understanding the the hype about pal vs ntsc was the better resolution for pal compared to the better frame rate for ntsc. With both systems having now the same exact resolution (i.e. 1080) what difference does it make anymore?
Am i missing something?
thanks
Brian Arwari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Frame rate is the difference now.
Remember, Canon has an update for I think about 500 dollars that you can make your camera NTSC when you have a PAL model, and if you have an NTSC model, you can make it PAL. (I mean PAL AND NTSC of course)
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Mathieu,
What i meant to say is, what is the use of pal anymore? mind you, I live in Italy which is all pal, but what would be the advantage for me in buying a pal high def. camera when now the only difference is frame rate and the ntsc has *better* frame rate?
Brian Arwari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The thing is, that the XL H1 likewise can record in standard definition (SD). Therefore the PAL/NTSC distinction too.
Robert Niemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Also the camera puts out a composite SD signal while recording (or preparing to record) in HD mode. This is in NTSC for the NTSC camera and presumably PAL for the PAL version. [Edit] This is apparently the EVF video as all the viewfinder data appears in it,

Last edited by A. J. deLange; December 9th, 2005 at 02:19 PM.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders