XL H1 Case - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 28th, 2006, 05:24 AM   #31
Trustee

I bought a Porta Brace quick draw ("cc" something) for my XL2 and accessories, and it's worked out well. Olenty of room and a hard metal protector for the viewfinder. There's room for everything plus. I plan to use it for my H1. it is , of course, too big for plane overhead.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #32
Contributor

I've used Portabrace bags for many years and have never had any problems. They have one bag that will collapse smaller when needed--you take the lens off and put it in it's own padded compartment, and the length of the bag can be zipped down. I've seen a different bag, I think it's either 16X9 or Petrol, that is sized so you can leave your mattebox on if you want.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Another option might be the Pelican 1550NF with the soft bag. That way you get the best of both worlds. I've just ordered one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...cessory_detail
plus
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=228224&is=REG

I imagine this is perfect for traveling.
Even Solberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #34
Major Player

Even; Looks really nice - but it seems to be a quite small bag - will the XL H1 fit in with the 20x lens mounted?

Lauri; where can I find the taylormade cases?
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Hi Jonas,

Good question. With the 20x mounted I doubt. But in its constituent pieces - I fully expect it to fit. I have an XL H1 on my shopping list, so I'll let you know when the time comes. :)
Even Solberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Nystrom
Lauri; where can I find the taylormade cases?
Jonas, I would guess there must be some close to you as well. The factory which made mine told me they make cases for hospitals, ambulances, musicians and bands, broadcasting companies etc. So, to find out where such cases are made in Sweden, I would ask people who manage the mobile television units/trucks in SVT or other broadcast companies. Or, if you know any medicine people operating with helicopters or ambulances, they should know.

If you ever end up with such a solution, I can send you details of my cases by email.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #37
Tourist

I found a case in LA for my H1 that I like very much for around $260. It's called Strut. Very high quality, great fit. Has extra room in front so there is room for my matte box and less pressure on the mic. I guess the owner was one of the main guys at Portabrace for years and is now out doing his own thing. web site is www.strutcases.com . They have a great section in their FAQ on traveling with a camera. Nice to see a new player.
Michael Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #38
Major Player

I have the Kata CCC-110 and I really love it. Camera fits with viewfinder attached and there is plenty of protection as well as storage space.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #39
Tourist

I think cases are really personal. I think Kata does a pretty good job but the old models never had enough pockets for me. The new ones seem a little too flashy and heavy. Portabrace has got a great history and has served the industry well, but it seems to be losing something. Like I said, bags are personal. You get used to stowing your gear just so and then you know you've got what you need, and you know where to find it.
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #40
Major Player

the only thing I don't like about "shipping" the camera in a hardcase...is you can't lock it on the airlines. Therefore...it's easy for someone to open the case the take the camera out.

If I have to ship a camera now....I'll do it fedex...with the custom case locked.

FYI...I have a 16x9 case (don't know who's making them)
http://www.16x9inc.com/products/16x9/169-cb2.html

It fits the H1 with Mattebox and Rods...and the Anton Bauer bracket on the back with a Trimpac 14 on it. Plus they gave me a nice 16x9 mattebox cover that goes over the mattebox to protect the lens...and it has a zipper on it for the foldable french flag.

It travels in overhead storage on the airlines...and I haven't had a bit of problems with it. Nice zippers with PLENTY of room.
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #41
Tourist

shipping cameras

I agree on shipping cameras. I can't believe what goes on at the airlines. I lost a laptop and a still camera out of my luggage a while ago. With all the security, how do these guys get away with walking out with all this stuff?

By the way, not to go on and on about Strut but they have a good section on traveling with a camera in their FAQ http://www.strutcases.com/FAQ/faq.html
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #42
Major Player

Hi Michel,
The "security" introduces new problems too. My wife got her new watch stolen by the X-ray staff in Mombasa, Kenya, two months ago. However, we got through with a lot of video and audio gear as hand luggage without trouble.
Then they were very eager to look through everything and examine all pockets in the search for the watch.

While my wife had to go back and X-ray her clothes in search for her watch another staff was eager to examine her backpacker. He opened a zipper inside the lid and found her wallet ... I was standing three meters in front watching him. He looked suspiciously around ... suddenly noticing me watching him. He immediately pulled out his hand and looked embarrassed!

A policeman came. We thought one of the three "suspected" should "find" the watch when we searched around them and inside the X-ray machine if it had "fallen out" of the tray as they suggested.

BTW, they had their metal detectors so sensitive so you had nearly to take off everything. I had to pass three times before I was cleared. (I'm a private pilot myself so I know the procedure and what normally passes.)

The result was that a lot of things had to be taken off and pockets emptied. Then it was more easily for them to take something while we were busy with all that gear and two kids ...

So, empty your pockets in your bag in advance. Don't have any metal in your shoes, wear plastic belt, no zippers in your clothes, ...

They insist to X-ray nearly everything but if there is nobody watching the screen doesn't matter sometimes!

It is getting more and more difficult to travel these days ... /Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:39 PM   #43
Tourist

Hi Johan,
The airline industry should look at these everyday happenings and realize what a joke it makes out of the whole idea of security. When I called to make a claim for my lost goods I was treated like I was the criminal and never did get restitution. So I guess you agree that your camera belongs with you as a carry on item not shipped in the baggage hold. Like the guy at Strut says "your camera is your work". That makes it your priority piece of luggage even if you have to take it on bare and wrap it in a blanket...it stays with you.
Old July 29th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Best Backpack Option

I have a Petrol PCBP-3N, and I am very satisfied with it.. As I am usually carrying lots of other stuff besides the camera, a backpack is a very good option. In this case I carry all the accessories including a shotgun, extra batteries, Canon wide angle lens, tapes, cleaners, white cards, rain jacket, and occasionally a mamoth Dell 17" laptop. I have taken this carry on in a plane hauled it through a dozen cites, in my car, even piled under other stuff.. Nothing in it has ever been damaged in the least. I think alot of people do not consider the backpack for various reasons, but one of the really good qualities about it is that it is self contained, and you can carry all your stuff with you when you are in a public shoot. There is nothing worse that having a crackhead eying your stuff when you shooting in NYC.. if its on your back, you don't have to watch it. Nuff said..

Brian
Brian Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Hosking View Post
Ahh ok.. Damn.. I'll go out to pelican once I have the camera and take it from there, thanks for the heads up.

Nice to see another Ash on the site :)
Just curious to know if you were able to get the Pelican Foam custom made. I am in the same situation and I would like the hard case.
Daniel Lopez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders