EARLY ADOPTER HERE!!! - I just said SCREW IT and bought one.... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 17th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #31
Trustee

Hey shannon I would love to come by and take a look at that 24F function with a res chart on my chroma du monde, I sent you an e-mail did you get it?
Old December 17th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #32
Regular Crew

hi shannon.. i would be willing to take that crappy old z1 off your hands for you.. i'm such a nice guy, i'll even give you alittle bit of money for it :)
Eric Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #33
Major Player

Nick, let's do it!

Eric...it's yours!

Nick....I'll email you back

Eric...this camera is a SPECIAL one....it's basically brand new. Remember, I'm not a shooter. I'm just a producer who likes to own his own gear! *smile*

either way...both you of you guys, hit me up. *smile*

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 17th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #34
Trustee

Shannon I'm totally free during the day tomorrow (and ::sigh:: during the night tonight) I'm located in North Hollywood, so just let me know when and where and I'll be there. (I'm super excited about checking out the 24F, I think i may be able to get a HD Monitor as well, let me know)

Nick
Old December 18th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #35
Major Player

You guys have to post some footage. You can upload the m2t's to my iDisk if you'd like.

Test everything you can!
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #36
Regular Crew

<<[QUOTE=Shannon Rawls]Nick, let's do it!>>>

Shannon!

Could you email me, if my schedule will allow it, I would like to
come up from the OC and see the res tests and maybe grab some footage.

my email: Arrfilms@hotmail.com

Pappas
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:15 AM   #37
Major Player

Mike,

Too late...we already did it.
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #38
Major Player

So Shannon, are you going to put up the goods? Is that console software coming in handy in order to get the true 24p from the 24f?

We're all hoping you'll be so kind as to show us some images from the camera, no matter how mundane or amazing!

If I might be of help in any way, please PM me.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:10 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
Mike,

Too late...we already did it.

DAMIT! DAMIT! DAMIT!

Shannon, could you explain the capture tool in the software for me. If I shoot 1 hour of 24f; I can capture that entire tape via the console SW and it makes it a true 24P file? Does this drop straight into FCP? Thanks!

>pappas
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #40
Major Player

YES! YES! & NO!

You can record one hour of 24f footage and via Console and it will be a 24p (23.976) mpeg file on your computer hard drive. Pulldown stuff already done. I cut this file on PC Vegas no problem. As long as MAC's FCP can handle mpeg files, then yes, you can cut it there as well.

However, I just realized CONSOLE is a live recording program, not a capturing program. It does not have tape transport buttons (play, ffw, record, stop, rwd). It will only record footage coming from CAMERA mode. it will not record footage already recorded on the tape. HUGE LIMITATION i just found.
I hope I am wrong.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #41
Trustee

I just came across this thread. Man oh man would my wife kill me. That is just a little too far out of the range of this hobbyist. Taking to Sony FX1 on vacation was a hassle. I can only imagine what would happen if I tried to take that monster.

But I will continue to dream. My last book contract netted enough to buy the FX1 plus some. Maybe the next one could put a major dent in the monster you bought. Or maybe I will wait and buy it from you if you decide to go with the next big thing?

My walls have no pictures on them either. But that is because the boxes have yet to be unpacked. All of the pictures and most of my household goods are in boxes. Of course, my camera and my PC are unpacked and ready to go! :-)
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #42
Wrangler

Shannon, even though I can't use the CONSOLE software (yet, anyway) but I can see from the windows in it that you are correct: it is live recording only (and maybe with a pre-record buffer). It is clearly a souped up version of the FREE DV-PC software for the XL2, which I was able to use, but sometimes inexplicably "lost" the camera also.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:10 AM   #43
Regular Crew

I should be receiving mine tomorrow afternoon ;-) I'll be testing it over the festive period with my mini 35, its a 300 model which I know is not recommended, but that's what I've got. So i'll let you know how I get on.
Martin Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:22 AM   #44
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Martin, could you please take some photos of that rig which we can post in our image gallery... that would be quite a sight to see!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:35 AM   #45
Regular Crew

No problem Chris I'll take some as soon as I set it up.
Martin Costa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders