Policy Reminder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Closed Thread

Old December 15th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #1
Wrangler

Policy Reminder

Ok, a number of infractions have my annoyance meter pegged, so I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone that DVinfo Policy requires certain information in your profile and that we like to keep the "noise" level low; in other words, we like to have honest and friendly discussions that are based in fact and not on blind emotion or hidden agendas. Posts may unceremoniously disappear from public view when moderators determine that the policy has been violated.

As an example, Martin R. has a grand total of three posts so far on DVinfo, each one to diss the H1, and in fact here he is directly copy/pasting content from the blog of someone named Mike Curtis. I don't know if Martin has personally seen footage from an H1 or handled the camera, but it is obvious that he is simply parroting someone else's opinions.

That blog is full of factual inaccuracies about the camera, and FWIW most of the comments that are opinions...well, I quite disagree with Mr. Curtis. Don't know and don't particularly care whether either he or Martin are shills for another company, but it feels like it in any case. The opinions I value are people here on DVinfo who are actually using the stuff about which they are reporting or expressing opinions.

I picked on Martin this time but he is neither the only one nor the the worst one for putting out negative opinions that don't appear to be tied to personal knowledge or anything else factual. We aren't about negativity here, just real digital video. Also, LINK, don't plagiarize, other peoples' published works.

Rant off...everyone make sure your profile is up to speed and let's get back to real discussions about real cameras by real people!
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Mike Curtis runs the "HD For Indies" blog in Austin. That direct link is www.hdforindies.com

Just a reminder, as Pete points out, you are welcome to link to some other web site but you cannot freely copy and paste content from some other site into this one as it constitutes a copyright violation.

And yes, nothing is more annoyiong than newbies who come into our community just to trash something. Find out what you actually *like* and post about that, please. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #3
Wrangler

The recent plague of posts that are off-topic, or profane, or vulgar, or meta-discussions, or personal attacks has continued, mostly in the HD forums including XL H1, despite several crystal clear reminders by the moderators.

I don't know or care whether the people who post like this are too busy, arrogant, stupid, lazy, or just plain mean to read and follow the policy that everyone else manages to live by here. Despite extra time and work these people cost the volunteer moderators, we will continue to enforce DVinfo policy because Chris has created and grown a fantastic community here and we've enjoyed the environment enough to lend our time to keeping it what drew us to it in the first place: a friendly, fact-based user community.

People who want to behave like ladies and gentlemen are most welcome. The trolls may go elsewhere.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders