DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Cool things that the XL-H1 can do...... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/56283-cool-things-xl-h1-can-do.html)

Shannon Rawls December 18th, 2005 11:33 AM

Cool things that the XL-H1 can do......

I find myself answering questions for people in email and bounced around on the 5th page of allot of these threads. So i figure I'd just compile a list of some of the cool things the camera can do here....

0. It shoots 24p HD
1. The XL-H1 has FOUR CHANNELS of audio in HDV & DV mode
2. it has the ability to be controlled externally from a laptop computer
3. it has ltc timecode in & out along with genlock and hd/sd sdi. Timecode-In is JAM-SYNCable.
4. it has BNC for composite video in/out
5. it has Real RCA jacks for connectivity
6. it has a built in 2.1 megapixel camera
7. it has a slot for an SD card that can save TOTAL CAMERA INFO to be swapped with others, studied or examined before & after shooting
8. it has a mic that can be switched from stereo to mono
9. it has 1/48th shutter speed!
10. it displays the audio levels at all times, even if in auto mode
11. it displays focus distance in feet or meters
12. it has clearscan
13. it has the ability to use your 6 custom presets AND NAME THEM to whatevever you want or to use NONE AT ALL
14. it can accept userbit information from aan external source
15. it can AUTOMATICALLY set your cassettes userbit information to DATE or TIME
16. it can SAVE camera preset settings and info along with the still-photos you take (for your DP when scouting those locations)
17. it has REFERENCE TONE of 1khz!
18. it can let you monitor the recorded audio signal or the LINE OUT SIGNAL via headphones!
19. it has 2.35:1 MARKERS!!! (along with a bunch others)
20. it can display your timecode and userbit info on the screen simultaneously
21. it can FLIP THE EVF without a magnet for use with the Micro35 adapter!
22. it can FREEZE the timecode while recording (but still be going internally)
23. it doesn't take 20 years to 'wake up' from styandby to begin recording again
24. during playback of tapes, it displays ALL THE DATA CODE simultaneously if you want
25. it has -3db gain option
26. it can be used with various lenses.
27. the lens it comes with is 5.4 mm wide! and can be zoomed to 108mm!!
28. it can PLAY/CAPTURE/DIGITIZE any type of 1080 HDV footage
29. it can DOWNCONVERT any type of 1080 HDV footage to regular DV
30. it can use this SUPER COOL program called "Console" Read about it here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56268
31. it has whitebalance built in for Daylight or Tungsten, two presets, and an Adjustable setting! (2800 - 12000 degrees K in increments of 100k) *SWEET*

More to come as they are discovered....

- ShannonRawls.com

Steve Rosen December 18th, 2005 02:28 PM

Add numerical values in the menu settings - and automatic back focus adjustment to your list...

I've seen a lot of video over the years shot with improper back focus (by pros even), and it's critical with HDV...

Shannon Rawls December 20th, 2005 11:22 AM

32. The absolute BEST microphone shock mount ever made that comes standard with a MiniDV camera. Run & Gun videographers are going to LOVE IT!

Shannon Rawls December 21st, 2005 03:28 PM

33. Just picked up a 1GB Lexar SD card on ebay for a few bucks. (blue card with green/yellow label). I have the camera set to shoot the highest & finest quality photos. The 16MB card the camera came with gave me 9 photos. The Lexar 1GB card now gives me 733!

So for those wondering about SD memory card compatibility.... I can confirm the Lexar 1GB.

P.S.
SD = Secure Digital. not standard definition. LOL

Chuck Hatcher December 22nd, 2005 10:26 AM

#34.... You can shoot digital stills

#34... from the manual "You can also record a still image on the memory card while you record a movie on the tape."

Chuc
my xl h1 is enroute ;-)

Kevin Shaw December 22nd, 2005 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Rosen
I've seen a lot of video over the years shot with improper back focus (by pros even), and it's critical with HDV...

How would I go about looking for symptoms of this in my own HDV footage, and is there anything I can do to adjust for it on a Sony FX1 camera?

Steve Connor December 22nd, 2005 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
How would I go about looking for symptoms of this in my own HDV footage, and is there anything I can do to adjust for it on a Sony FX1 camera?

Nothing you can do for backfocus on a fixed lens, having said that our Z1 went back to Sony with a problem that looked exactly like the backfocus was out. Wide shots were soft and closer shots wer in focus!