Whu have "CLOSE" as an option for Iris? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 19th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Why have "CLOSE" as an option for Iris?

Messing around here with my camcorder. I see the aperture can be "CLOSED". Will someone please explain why on earth I would want it in "CLOSE"? Everything goes totally black. I pointed it at the sun...still black.

What is this used for? Please let me know so I can sound like a professional when someone else asks me. *smile*

- ShannonRawls.com

Last edited by Shannon Rawls; December 20th, 2005 at 01:00 AM.
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Maybe so you could tape some black screen for a timecode?
Don't know sure, only reason I can think of on this moment.
You could do that with the lens cap too, I don't know.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Probably to protect the ccd in situations were you may not have the lens cap... True black needs to have a sync pulse of 0.3 volts so I doubt it would be for putting black on the tape, although it could be used for it... not really a rule you have to go by inless your going to give a TV station the tape.

I'll look through my notes from college back in 2002 later on as I am sure I asked the same question.

You already sound like a pro Shannon ;-)
Ashley Hosking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Do-it-yourself fade outs.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #5
Trustee

I perfer the do it yourself star-wipes...

I'm not positive because we didn't get into it yesterday, but on the 900 there is something called "black balance" I don't know if the canon has it our not but it's used to give the camera an internal reference to what absolute black is. So maybe that's the reason?
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
Messing around here with my camcorder. I see the aperture can be "CLOSED". Will someone please explain why on earth I would want it in "CLOSE"? Everything goes totally black. I pointed it at the sun...still black.

What is this used for? Please let me know so I can sound like a professional when someone else asks me. *smile*

- ShannonRawls.com

It protects the image block from burn ins... in case you lost the all important lens cap.
Old December 19th, 2005, 11:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thought so :-)

Probably started back in the days of tube cameras
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:47 AM   #8
Major Player

like chris said it's for in camera fade outs/fade ins, there is a considerably more beautiful look to fade outs/ins done with the aperture becaue as it fades, thqt last moment before it closes everythin is getting deeper and deeper depth of field, of course it's even better to do your fade ins/outs with the lighting there's a lot of that in The Aviator and citizen kane
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #9
Major Player

Hello,

JMHO

You may use it like that for certain, but its functional utility is to protect the CCDs. I am not sure, but I believe I ran across it in the manual during one of my read-throughs. I always keep a lens cap on the lens when the camera isn't running to protect the CCDs and the lens at the same time.

Personally I can't imagine locking my footage into a particular effect. I would never use a fade in-camera, it totally limits your editing options.
Old December 20th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Marotti
Hello,

JMHO

You may use it like that for certain, but its functional utility is to protect the CCDs. I am not sure, but I believe I ran across it in the manual during one of my read-throughs. I always keep a lens cap on the lens when the camera isn't running to protect the CCDs and the lens at the same time.

Personally I can't imagine locking my footage into a particular effect. I would never use a fade in-camera, it totally limits your editing options.
If I was editing footage that was shot by a camera op that had done that I'd kick his b*tt! *Smile*

Not to mention it would be very hard to make the fade a constant speed from start all the way to finish

I think Chris was joking...
Old December 20th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #11
Major Player

Me Too, or at least he had Joke Overtones :-)
Old December 21st, 2005, 05:20 PM   #12
Regular Crew

The problem with the Canon XL-H1's iris is that it is incremental. Meaning you can't do any smooth exposure adjustments or fades. It is really a shame they haven't implemented a smooth iris on this camera.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 10:42 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven-Marc Couchouron
The problem with the Canon XL-H1's iris is that it is incremental.
Is this still so? What an absolute shame! I've thought this to be one of the most significant limitations of the XL 1/2. Can't believe they didn't change this!!
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 11:37 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pfister
Is this still so?
Not so... the iris incrememntally and smoothly changes from f-stop to f-stop on the XL-H1. It's kinda fast, but surely not a hard switch. And atually, you COULD use the closed option to fade to black like Chris said.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 23rd, 2005, 11:44 AM   #15
Major Player

Well, the XL-1s does change the iris 'smoothly', too, but with distinct increments. There's no way to *really* smoothly/slowly adjust the iris w/o the viewer noticing. In post, it's pretty much a cut (or luminance tweaking) whenever the iris was changed in the footage. Suxx big time! Can you confirm or deny whether this is clearly the case? You have an XL-1s around, Shannon, correct? If so, could you compare the behavior of the two cams? That'd be great!

Thanx a bunch - and don't let Santa ruin those nice red candles in your fireplace! ;)

Cheers,

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders