I'm a believer... Now where can I get a cup holder. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 11th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #31
Trustee

Well, I don't know about you, but I am recording DOUBLE audio on the feature that I am shooting...why? because the risk of haveing bad audio because the cables from the dat deck get stuck on under the dolly wheels, or warpped around the a/c cords etc is not worth the risk, not to mention the sound guy needs to listen to his own levels all the time...but then again this is a feature film, not a commercial or doc video...

We sure can't do VFX work on dvcproHD and lets not mention HDV! so again do you need HD-SDI for vfx feature work? yes. You must have it.

HDV is about 3MB/sec
HD-SDI 24p 1080 is aorund 75MB/sec

it's not dead pixels taking all that room, it's image information.
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #32
Trustee

The only option for HD-SDI capture as I know it is a bulky computer...if you know of anything let me know.
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #33
Major Player

Obin, my man....you're missing what I'm saying.

Double sound is cool....But if you can't sync it in post....EASILY, then trying to save time in one area is just creating work in another. For narrartive film making, creating audio tracks that are tottaly out of sync with your video is just crazy. You really want to have those two married somehow, and timecode is what does it.

Now if you have no audio concerns and no script supervisor's notes to go by, then yes, a 'video only' hd-sdi solution is just fine.

And Obin, let's be real here. You DO NOT 'have to have' hd-sdi to do Visual Effect bro. Canon comes out 4 months ago with a sub$10k camera that has HD-SDI and now all of a sudden we MUST have it to do stuff. LOLOLOL So what did we do before then for low budget projects that needed visual effects? *smile* I know you're excited about your new product, I'm just telling you its limitations and how it won't work for everybody.

NOW....if you can somehow get that puppy to record timecode and audio info.... you just created yourself a new product that breaks all world records!! and I will be happy to pay for it.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Obin,

If it would record time code and picture with matching timecode being fed to the audio guy, that woud be just as good as what Shannon suggested in my opinion. I don't think the audio needs to be embedded as long as it is easily sync-able. It also allows for more flexibilty with sound for different recording mediums.

Vince
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #35
Trustee

THX for the feeds on the unit design, we are listening!

BTW Shannon, to answer your Q about "how we did it before canon"??

Well we did it with 2k fim scans and 1080p 4:2:2 un-compressed from cams like the f900 bro, never with a consumer cam...ever!

the canon takes "consumer" to a new level, and we can get 4:2:2 out the side now! Why not use it? ;)
Obin Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders