DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   New XL H1 clips of singer with amazing talent... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/57080-new-xl-h1-clips-singer-amazing-talent.html)

Kevin Wild December 30th, 2005 01:26 AM

New XL H1 clips of singer with amazing talent...

http://homepage.mac.com/kevinwild/FileSharing34.html

Okay, it's my son singing Jingle Bells in front of a decoration-less tree. Thought I'd share this clip, though, since I've seen little set-up stuff yet on-line (though this is barely "set up").

In case anyone is wondering: 1 Arri 150k light, shot 1080i, 0 gain, auto white, wide open iris, standing about 10 feet from him and zoomed in for added DOF, Sennheiser wireless lav, 1 amazingly talented child...:-)

Kevin

Pete Tomov December 30th, 2005 07:34 AM

Who's the kid's agent in case I want to hire him :D
The clip looks really good,too.

Pete Bauer December 30th, 2005 09:26 AM

Kevin, I tried your clip on a PC using the latest version of the QT7 player and got audio only; no video. Did you use Mac-only video encoding, or do I have a codec problem?

Kevin Wild December 30th, 2005 10:31 AM

I'm not sure. I exported from Final Cut with "same as current" settings and added a .mov extension to it. But, I just looked at the "info" tab says it's HDV, 1080i60, 1920 x 1080.

Not sure what codec will play that for PC users. Let me know if there is something I can do. Ah...the fun and pains of new stuff. :-)

Kevin

Steven Thomas December 30th, 2005 10:47 AM

Oddly, I was able to change the file extension to .wmv and
Windows media player played it for about 2 seconds then froze with macro blocks ? weird...

Steve

Pete Tomov December 30th, 2005 01:32 PM

I had trouble with quicktime too so I played it with VLC.Worked perfectly.

Robert Niemann December 30th, 2005 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Tomov
[...] I played it with VLC.Worked perfectly.

A good hint, Pete.
Man, the clip looks very very sharp. Would like to see more.

Kevin Wild December 30th, 2005 06:55 PM

New FTG-Outdoors

I put up some more clips from some outdoor footage. Sorry, but no tripod. I grabbed camera at last minute to grab some daylight stuff...and I really just missed the sun, anyways. Man, I'm loving this camera:

http://homepage.mac.com/kevinwild/FileSharing34.html

It's an HDV .mov file. As noted above, PC users may need VLC to view it...

Kevin

Robert Niemann December 31st, 2005 04:57 AM

The XL H1 seems to have the highest resolution (in comparison with the Z1/HD100/HVX200), but the clips look very videoish. So I would be very interested in seeing, how the Canon can create film-like pictures too. Any chance to see some test clips (24fps, cine-like gamma curve, cine-like color matrix)?

Kevin Wild December 31st, 2005 10:41 AM

Yes, very video-ish, but it's supposed to at 1080i.

I shot some 24f stuff, but haven't gotten a chance to try to load it. I have to have some creative workflow on that one, as FCP doesn't support it yet. I'll try to do something more filmic this week and post it.

KW

Shannon Rawls December 31st, 2005 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Niemann
but the clips look very videoish.

Hey Rob, I think he meant to do that. He put the camera in 1080i60 to shoot the Oscar Award winning performance.

If he would have put the camera in 24f and set the settings like you mentioned, you would have been watching a 24p movie.

- ShannonRawls.com

Robert Niemann December 31st, 2005 12:21 PM

Hey Shannon, ist that for sure, that you can win the Academy Award only with 1080i60? I will think about it.

Shannon Rawls December 31st, 2005 12:26 PM

A kid with that much talent can win with a Hi8 camera! *smile*

- ShannonRawls.com

Kevin Wild December 31st, 2005 01:00 PM

Yes, I was testing 1080i. I did some clips that were 24f and they looked incredible and yes, MUCH more film-like.

I also used some color correction and these clips help up VERY well (even with the HDV codec).

This is fun...if only I had more time to do the fun projects, but gotta' pay for this sucker! :-)

Thanks for the comments on the singing. He'd better not quit his day job...

By the way, anyone who has heard their 4 or 5 or 6 year old sing...truly can appreciate how completely amazing Michael Jackson was when he started out. :-)

Kevin

Barlow Elton January 1st, 2006 11:12 AM

Thanks for sharing those clips, Kevin. I too can appreciate my child's singing ability in comparison to litte Michael. That was really cute, had a good chuckle from it. (my little girls loved it too) I also appreciate editing in a few close-ups. Also enjoyed the outdoor clips. Great detail, although that shot of the pipe water flowing gave away the essential limits of the codec. I wonder if there were less blockies in the original shot, or is that a non-color corrected original? Did you have to render out the entire clip? If so, that may be part of the problem. It's another pass of 25mbs MPEG2. Bound to break up with that kind of picture detail and frequency. A different codec might have rendered the complexity of the water better. All in all, an amazing picture...now that's HD!!

I hope to post some clips from my camera next week. Maybe in a different codec through the Decklink card. (like 24p DVCPRO 1080 via SDI)

btw, you can capture raw m2t's of even 24F material with HDVxDV. They have a free month trial version. Worth checking out if you want post anything raw that anyone without FCP and Quicktime can watch.