DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   For those that think looks don't matter.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/57137-those-think-looks-dont-matter.html)

Shannon Rawls December 30th, 2005 07:39 PM

For those that think looks don't matter....

I had two meetings today for upcoming production jobs that need to be produced and shot in 2006.

One gig I didn't get because the Executive Producer & his Financiers decided to go with some fast-talking college student Producer who promised them a movie that will look better then The Matrix for only a $1000.00 production budget using his Sony FX1. *shrugs*

For the other meeting, I brought the Canon XL-H1 along with connected mattebox locked up in the Pelican 1650 case I keep it in. I didn't want to lose the job to another kid who brought his FX1 with him.
So here I am, draging this big black case in the conference room and then one of them asks me....

"Why did you bring that?", one guy asked
"Oh I just wanted to show you what we'll be shooting with if I end up taking on this project"
"Ok, we'll take a look at it later"

*after the meeting*

"So Shannon, let's see that little DV camera you got."(as he smiles & jokes to his friend.)

(I opened the lid and pulled the camera out as if I was pulling a Howitzer rocket missle launcher out of a trench coat)

Ohhhhhhhhhh
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Daaaayyuuummmmmmmmm!
WOW!
"WHOA SHIT.....WHAT IS THAT??? I DIDN'T KNOW WE WERE GONNA BE USING THAT KINDA POWER MAN!"
"OH BOY, I'M EXCITED! THIS IS GOING TO BE GREAT. HEY MIKE COME HERE AND LOOK AT THIS THING!
"THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. STEPPING UP THE GAME WITH SOME REAL EQUIPMENT. YOU'RE THE MAN SHANNON!"
"THANK'S FOR GIVING US A GREAT DEAL ON YOUR GEAR.

lol

Needless to say, I'm preparing a budget for the movie. *smile*

Sometimes.......looks matter.

- ShannonRawls.com

Darrell Essex December 30th, 2005 08:38 PM

you need anything done with after effects, let me know.
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES

Brian Duke December 30th, 2005 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
some fast-talking college student Producer who promised them a movie that will look better then The Matrix for only a $1000.00 production budget using his Sony FX1. *shrugs*

OMG LOL That's too funny, but sad. What's his name. I'll use him on my next feature...

Ashley Hosking December 30th, 2005 09:03 PM

Quote:

One gig I didn't get because the Executive Producer & his Financiers decided to go with some fast-talking college student Producer who promised them a movie that will look better then The Matrix for only a $1000.00 production budget using his Sony FX1. *shrugs*

LOL... I bet he didn't have a sexy matte box on the front of his FX1!

At the end of the day "you pay for crap you get crap"... and Shannon dont do crap ;-)

Kevin Shaw December 31st, 2005 02:13 AM

Quote:

I opened the lid and pulled the camera out as if I was pulling a Howitzer rocket missle launcher out of a trench coat.

Thanks Shannon, that's a great visual image! Good luck with the project. :-)

Mathieu Ghekiere December 31st, 2005 05:53 AM

Quote:

So here I am, draging this big black case in the conference room and then one of them asks me....

"Why did you bring that?", one guy asked
"Oh I just wanted to show you what we'll be shooting with if I end up taking on this project"
"Ok, we'll take a look at it later"

*after the meeting*

"So Shannon, let's see that little DV camera you got."(as he smiles & jokes to his friend.)

(I opened the lid and pulled the camera out as if I was pulling a Howitzer rocket missle launcher out of a trench coat)

Ohhhhhhhhhh
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Daaaayyuuummmmmmmmm!
WOW!
"WHOA SHIT.....WHAT IS THAT??? I DIDN'T KNOW WE WERE GONNA BE USING THAT KINDA POWER MAN!"
"OH BOY, I'M EXCITED! THIS IS GOING TO BE GREAT. HEY MIKE COME HERE AND LOOK AT THIS THING!
"THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. STEPPING UP THE GAME WITH SOME REAL EQUIPMENT. YOU'RE THE MAN SHANNON!"
"THANK'S FOR GIVING US A GREAT DEAL ON YOUR GEAR.

- ShannonRawls.com

LOL!!!!!!!

James Llewellyn December 31st, 2005 06:17 AM

Quote:

Ohhhhhhhhhh
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Daaaayyuuummmmmmmmm!
WOW!

At first all I read was "...tenchcoat" and the following after that and I got an entirely wrong impression on what this post was about. That's when you know sleep is in order.

Ashley Hosking December 31st, 2005 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Llewellyn
At first all I read was "...tenchcoat" and the following after that and I got an entirely wrong impression on what this post was about. That's when you know sleep is in order.

LOL!!! Boy this thread is getting funny!!!

Bruce S. Yarock December 31st, 2005 08:43 AM

Shannon,
Great story...I lauhged my ass off. Actually, that scene alone would be worth shooting.
Bruce Yarock

Evan C. King December 31st, 2005 09:17 AM

Pure ownage. I wish I could afford a camera with so much stomping power. *Cries*

Peter Sieben December 31st, 2005 09:19 AM

Hi Shannon,

They should have hired that other guy with the Sony HDV camera. I mean, if that person is able to get The Matrix-look out of that HDV camera, he must be a real genious!!!!!! ;-)

Now you have to come up with a movie looking better than The Matrix, that will be a tough job............

LOL

Pete Tomov December 31st, 2005 10:22 AM

What?!Are you kidding?I hate The Matrix look and especially the freeway scene.You can see some not graded shots in the trailer and they look way better.

Tony Davies-Patrick December 31st, 2005 10:38 AM

I wonder if he can also do a remake of "Crouching Tiger" without the need for wires...?

Pete Tomov December 31st, 2005 10:42 AM

Actually,I can do that.I got into filmmaking through cg.

Guest January 3rd, 2006 09:14 AM

Great story Shannon.

I agree 100% that looks do matter. They shouldn't, but they do. I know that when I had my XL2, anyone who saw it was impressed without even seeing footage. In my experience (emphasis on "In My Experience"), it seems that most people associate better looking equipment with better results. Is it right? Absolutley not, for all the reasons that have been discussed throughout this and other forums. Does it happen? Every day.

Nice going Shannon!