For those that think looks don't matter.... at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 30th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 853
For those that think looks don't matter....

I had two meetings today for upcoming production jobs that need to be produced and shot in 2006.

One gig I didn't get because the Executive Producer & his Financiers decided to go with some fast-talking college student Producer who promised them a movie that will look better then The Matrix for only a $1000.00 production budget using his Sony FX1. *shrugs*

For the other meeting, I brought the Canon XL-H1 along with connected mattebox locked up in the Pelican 1650 case I keep it in. I didn't want to lose the job to another kid who brought his FX1 with him.
So here I am, draging this big black case in the conference room and then one of them asks me....

"Why did you bring that?", one guy asked
"Oh I just wanted to show you what we'll be shooting with if I end up taking on this project"
"Ok, we'll take a look at it later"

*after the meeting*

"So Shannon, let's see that little DV camera you got."(as he smiles & jokes to his friend.)

(I opened the lid and pulled the camera out as if I was pulling a Howitzer rocket missle launcher out of a trench coat)

Ohhhhhhhhhh
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Daaaayyuuummmmmmmmm!
WOW!
"WHOA SHIT.....WHAT IS THAT??? I DIDN'T KNOW WE WERE GONNA BE USING THAT KINDA POWER MAN!"
"OH BOY, I'M EXCITED! THIS IS GOING TO BE GREAT. HEY MIKE COME HERE AND LOOK AT THIS THING!
"THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. STEPPING UP THE GAME WITH SOME REAL EQUIPMENT. YOU'RE THE MAN SHANNON!"
"THANK'S FOR GIVING US A GREAT DEAL ON YOUR GEAR.


lol

Needless to say, I'm preparing a budget for the movie. *smile*

Sometimes.......looks matter.

- ShannonRawls.com
__________________
Shannon W. Rawls ~ Motion Picture Producer & huge advocate of Digital Acquisition.

Last edited by Shannon Rawls; December 30th, 2005 at 09:11 PM.
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: kelseyville, ca
Posts: 123
you need anything done with after effects, let me know.
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES
__________________
darrell
Darrell Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
some fast-talking college student Producer who promised them a movie that will look better then The Matrix for only a $1000.00 production budget using his Sony FX1. *shrugs*
OMG LOL That's too funny, but sad. What's his name. I'll use him on my next feature...
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
One gig I didn't get because the Executive Producer & his Financiers decided to go with some fast-talking college student Producer who promised them a movie that will look better then The Matrix for only a $1000.00 production budget using his Sony FX1. *shrugs*
LOL... I bet he didn't have a sexy matte box on the front of his FX1!

At the end of the day "you pay for crap you get crap"... and Shannon dont do crap ;-)
Ashley Hosking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:13 AM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
I opened the lid and pulled the camera out as if I was pulling a Howitzer rocket missle launcher out of a trench coat.
Thanks Shannon, that's a great visual image! Good luck with the project. :-)
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 05:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
So here I am, draging this big black case in the conference room and then one of them asks me....

"Why did you bring that?", one guy asked
"Oh I just wanted to show you what we'll be shooting with if I end up taking on this project"
"Ok, we'll take a look at it later"

*after the meeting*

"So Shannon, let's see that little DV camera you got."(as he smiles & jokes to his friend.)

(I opened the lid and pulled the camera out as if I was pulling a Howitzer rocket missle launcher out of a trench coat)

Ohhhhhhhhhh
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Daaaayyuuummmmmmmmm!
WOW!
"WHOA SHIT.....WHAT IS THAT??? I DIDN'T KNOW WE WERE GONNA BE USING THAT KINDA POWER MAN!"
"OH BOY, I'M EXCITED! THIS IS GOING TO BE GREAT. HEY MIKE COME HERE AND LOOK AT THIS THING!
"THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. STEPPING UP THE GAME WITH SOME REAL EQUIPMENT. YOU'RE THE MAN SHANNON!"
"THANK'S FOR GIVING US A GREAT DEAL ON YOUR GEAR.


- ShannonRawls.com
LOL!!!!!!!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 06:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
(I opened the lid and pulled the camera out as if I was pulling a Howitzer rocket missle launcher out of a trench coat)

Ohhhhhhhhhh
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Daaaayyuuummmmmmmmm!
WOW!
"WHOA SHIT.....WHAT IS THAT??? I DIDN'T KNOW WE WERE GONNA BE USING THAT KINDA POWER MAN!"
"OH BOY, I'M EXCITED! THIS IS GOING TO BE GREAT. HEY MIKE COME HERE AND LOOK AT THIS THING!
"THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. STEPPING UP THE GAME WITH SOME REAL EQUIPMENT. YOU'RE THE MAN SHANNON!"
At first all I read was "...tenchcoat" and the following after that and I got an entirely wrong impression on what this post was about. That's when you know sleep is in order.
James Llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 08:01 AM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Llewellyn
At first all I read was "...tenchcoat" and the following after that and I got an entirely wrong impression on what this post was about. That's when you know sleep is in order.
LOL!!! Boy this thread is getting funny!!!
Ashley Hosking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 08:43 AM   #9
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pembroke Pines, Fl.
Posts: 1,842
Shannon,
Great story...I lauhged my ass off. Actually, that scene alone would be worth shooting.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 09:17 AM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 532
Pure ownage. I wish I could afford a camera with so much stomping power. *Cries*
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 09:19 AM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 345
Hi Shannon,

They should have hired that other guy with the Sony HDV camera. I mean, if that person is able to get The Matrix-look out of that HDV camera, he must be a real genious!!!!!! ;-)

Now you have to come up with a movie looking better than The Matrix, that will be a tough job............





LOL
__________________
Peter / Orphic Film
www.orphicfilm.nl and www.myspace.com/orphicfilm
Peter Sieben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 10:22 AM   #12
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 106
What?!Are you kidding?I hate The Matrix look and especially the freeway scene.You can see some not graded shots in the trailer and they look way better.
Pete Tomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 10:38 AM   #13
Trustee
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 1,589
I wonder if he can also do a remake of "Crouching Tiger" without the need for wires...?
__________________
www.WILDCARP.com
www.NIKON.me.uk
Tony Davies-Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 10:42 AM   #14
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 106
Actually,I can do that.I got into filmmaking through cg.
Pete Tomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:14 AM   #15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Great story Shannon.

I agree 100% that looks do matter. They shouldn't, but they do. I know that when I had my XL2, anyone who saw it was impressed without even seeing footage. In my experience (emphasis on "In My Experience"), it seems that most people associate better looking equipment with better results. Is it right? Absolutley not, for all the reasons that have been discussed throughout this and other forums. Does it happen? Every day.

Nice going Shannon!
  Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network