DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Delay... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/57195-delay.html)

Nick Hiltgen December 31st, 2005 09:58 PM

Delay...

Has anyone else out there noticed a delay with the camera, specifically a half second (or so) delay between the action and what's being seen in the viewfinder, or on the monitor. I don't think I remember noticing it right out of the box, or on shannon's camera, but some how I've managed to cause it. I haven't experimented too much with trying to get everything back to normal (I can always hit the reset button I suppose) just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed that, or if it's just me, or soemthing I did.

Kevin Wild December 31st, 2005 11:27 PM

Definitely not. Hope you don't have a lemon. I'd try reset, if I were you.

KW

Steve Rosen January 1st, 2006 10:25 AM

Bad thing. Hope you discover what's causing it. I haven't had the problem, but seems to remember reading something in the (poorly conceived) manual about a setting somewhere.. maybe you accidentally hit it while going thru the menus...

Harry Bromley-Davenport January 1st, 2006 02:31 PM

I don't think it's a time lag. When I first noticed this (and in my case it's more like one fifth of a second) I thought it was lazy processing. But I think now that it is in fact the optical stabilizer at work. If I do a fairly quick or a fast camera pan, I notice that the monitor takes a fraction of a second to catch up which gives the impression of a time delay. If I do a slow pan, there is no "catch up" period.

Please try this and tell me if you agree.

Best

Harry.

Nick Hiltgen January 1st, 2006 10:58 PM

Hmm so far not looking so good. For some reason i can't seem to find a "reset" button though i could've sworn there was one. I've just noticed now that I get a ghosting (kinda like what you get with the nr1 setting) when it's in 601 mode, I'm sure this is not what I saw on shanon's camera, it's funny it really feels like there's something taxing the processor or something and the whole camera feels sluggish, does anyone have a suggestion? I'll call canon tomorrow (maybe someone will be there...)

Harry yes that is the similar problem I'm noticing but the image stabalizer is off. However the delay that i'm seeing is through the viewfinder as well as the monitor, so maybe it's not exactly the same.

The problem seems to be less noticable when the camera is in 60i mode as opposed to 24f can someone else run a test and just compare the two for me?

Argh, this is so frustrating.

Chris Hurd January 1st, 2006 11:18 PM

There is a reset button. It's on the inside of the handgrip, you have to take off the lens to get to it. But there's absolutely no documentation in the manual about how to use it. Sounds like a call to Canon USA Service.

Nick Hiltgen January 1st, 2006 11:30 PM

Thanks chris, I knew I saw it somewhere, I'm too tired to mess around with it now, but yeah hopefully this can all be resolved tomorrow with tech support!

Martin Costa January 2nd, 2006 05:04 AM

Harry, I've just tested some fast pans in 50i and 25f and I can't see any catching up problems. Although i'm still recovering from New years.

Steve House January 2nd, 2006 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Bromley-Davenport
I don't think it's a time lag. When I first noticed this (and in my case it's more like one fifth of a second) I thought it was lazy processing. But I think now that it is in fact the optical stabilizer at work. If I do a fairly quick or a fast camera pan, I notice that the monitor takes a fraction of a second to catch up which gives the impression of a time delay. If I do a slow pan, there is no "catch up" period.

Please try this and tell me if you agree.

Best

Harry.

I'd guess the solution is to turn off the image stabilizer when you have subject movement in the shot or will make intentional camera moves. Otherwise the software will interpret the subject movement in the frame as camera shake and try to correct it.

Pete Tomov January 2nd, 2006 06:55 AM

The best way to test this is to put on headphones and try to say a line into the mic.If there's lag won't be able to say say the whole thing and you'll probably go crazy trying.

A. J. deLange January 2nd, 2006 09:46 AM

I definitely noticed this in the first tests I did but have stopped noticing it which means either that it has gone away or I've adapted to it. I'll go look for it again tonight. I dismissed it when I first saw it as being related to the generation of the HDV signal for tape reasoning that it takes half a second to create the first frame after an I frame in a half second GOP with forward and reverse interpolation. So it's to be expected if you are monitoring over the fire wire (as I think I was in those first checks) but that doesn't say much about the EVF.

Nick Hiltgen January 2nd, 2006 06:11 PM

So after speaking to tech support and reseting the camera it seems like the delay is not really there, in 24F mode there is definitely a slight bit of a delay but not as much as before, now I've just got to figure out what was causing it...