Fed Ex just arrived... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 6th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Fed Ex just arrived...

I now have the camera that "goes to eleven". Got a Kona LH card to go with it.

Much experimentation to come...I'll post clips when they're *good* and ready. I'll try to actually achieve focus too. *smile*
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hey Barlow, CONGRATS! Plain and simple, if you like your previous XL camera, you're gonna love the XL H1.

Since it sounds like you have an HD-SDI solution ready to go, we'll be bugging the crap out of you for info...do you have the drive capacity to do uncompressed, or what codec will you be using?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Pete!! I'm really digging into the manual right now. This is a VERY deep camera.

Yeah, the whole point of the Kona is to be able to capture SDI, and for me, to MONITOR hdv with no issues.

I'm putting together my own SATA RAID in the near future, but I'm immediately adding an extra drive in the open bay of the G5. I'm pretty much going to be testing it in DVCPRO HD...and 24p capture particularly.
The Kona card should be able to do this straight from a live 24F stream.

Gonna be fun. My brother-in-law is helping me build a portable rack system for my G5. Sure, sounds cumbersome, but I'm crazy like that. I wanna take this thing out and USE THE SDI!!

Eventually I'll do some chroma key shots in different codecs for everyone to check out. Way down the road, though.
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #4
Trustee

Congrats!

Let us know how it works out.

Steve
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Congradulations Barlow !
btw:
How much does the Beast weigh?
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton
Congradulations Barlow !
btw:
How much does the Beast weigh?
Not sure. Of Canon, I've only owned the old XL1, (Jan. 98 manufactured!) and in comparison, the H1 seems quite a bit heftier. I looked in the manual but couldn't find that info.

Gonna shoot in downtown SLC tonight. I'll report my findings and maybe a few clips soon.

Barlow
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Barlow,

Can you get some low light shots on purpose so how we can see how the camera holds up in low light...

Thanks Gary
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #8
Major Player

Will do, Gary, that's why I'm going downtown.
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #9
Major Player

Cool...

So far I'm leaning towards the Canon... saw the HVX yesterday... and the Canon on Monday...

But since my shoot is pushed back to spring... I'll have time to figure out which I want...

Now my friend who's a camera operator did like how the Canon held up in the shadows of the showroom...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 12:37 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Barlow,
I also live in Salt Lake City and I would love to have a look at the H1. I am actually waiting for my buddy to get one in his store this next week. I would like to see how the H1 performs with my 1.6x extender and with the 100-400 EF lens. If you get a minute let me know. My number is on my website: www.teterhorn.com if you are interested.

Thanks
Jared Teter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #11
Major Player

I'll get in touch with you, Jared. Should be fun to try out those lenses.

One thing I will say...I am VERY happy with how this baby performs in low light. A few clips soon...
Old January 7th, 2006, 05:06 AM   #12
Trustee

Hey Barlow, could you you check two things for me, hmm, 3.

1) With the lens cap on can you pump the gain to 18 and see if there are any lit pixels (you know, like little blue dots on the black- not to be confused with the white noise that will show up these will be in the same place- there probably won't see any)

2) can you check and see if there is a little ghosting in the viewfinder in 24F or 60i mode and how bad is it.

3) can you see if there is a little delay in camera through the viewfinder, specifically, snap your fingers and see if the sound lines up with the action or if there is a delay.
Old January 7th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #13
Major Player

I'll check that stuff for you this afternoon. Initially, I can say that I did notice some mild ghosting, particularly in 24F while using peaking focus assist in manual mode.

Here are a few clips from last night.

www.homepage.mac.com/mrbarlowelton
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
Hey Barlow, could you you check two things for me, hmm, 3.

1) With the lens cap on can you pump the gain to 18 and see if there are any lit pixels (you know, like little blue dots on the black- not to be confused with the white noise that will show up these will be in the same place- there probably won't see any)

2) can you check and see if there is a little ghosting in the viewfinder in 24F or 60i mode and how bad is it.

3) can you see if there is a little delay in camera through the viewfinder, specifically, snap your fingers and see if the sound lines up with the action or if there is a delay.

1) Didn't see any lit pixels.

2) Yeah, I've noticed a little ghosting in the VF. Not sure what it is, but it
wasn't bothersome. 24F definitely more noticeable.

3) Yes, there is a little delay, but it seems to be 24F only. I checked it in the VF and on a HD CRT, and it seems to be only in 24F mode. I think this is the DIGIC chip doing it's thing.
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #15
Trustee

Barlow, awesome thanks for the feedback, the only other "problem" I've noticed is that my VF has a little bit of a short in it (I don't know if this is because I'm running in B+W mode or what) Kinda like a quick noise scan every once in a while, I'm pretty sure it's my camera but is anyone else experiencing that problem?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders