XL H1 and Final Cut Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 6th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL H1 and Final Cut Pro

Hi,

Is it possible to edit XLH1 footage in Final Cut Pro 5 right now ?

thanks
Antoine Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Major Player

*lord*
*smile*

YES Antoine. You can in fact edit footage from XL-H1 in Final Cut Pro 5. Please do a search and you will find all kinds of other topics addressing this.

60i - no problem (can be done inside FCP 5 easily)
30p - no problem (can be done inside FCP 5 easily)
24f - a little more complicated. You will have to capture the footage using programs like www.HDVxDV.com. Once you have done that, you will need to convert the raw .m2t file to AIC manually. Once you have done that, you can edit the footage in FCP 5. native support for 24f is coming soon.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Shannon,

Does it takes a long render time to convert in HDVxDV ?

thanks !
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Nope, it's a real time capture in HDVxDV.
However HDVxDV does not do the conversion. Another program (slips my mind the name) does it. So, Yep, the conversion to AIC takes a long time, therefore it all evens out in the end.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks Shannon !
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Someone from Birns and Sawyer told me that Apple was coming with an update... to do both 24f and 30f... in the next couple of weeks... lets hope he's right...

he was right about the canon coming when it did so maybe he'll be two out of two...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
*lord*
*smile*

YES Antoine. You can in fact edit footage from XL-H1 in Final Cut Pro 5. Please do a search and you will find all kinds of other topics addressing this.
- ShannonRawls.com
I did a search and found very little. Don´t know what I´m doing wrong but I sure would like to know if it´s possible to capture HDV 25F or 50i through firewire. (PAL land) :)
Kristian Indrehus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #8
Major Player

Fw

You can capture through FW (at least for 50i, haven't managed 25f yet). Shannon, if you rember the program to convert to AIC - please post! Would be most helpful! //All Best Jonas
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #9
Major Player

MPEG streamclip

I captured with HDVxDV and then converted with MPEG streampclip. But I don't think you need that if you do European version. Because how is it different than directly capturing via firewire within FCP.

The only question I have is very confusing for me.

I myself have 25F and 50i. But it would be the same with 30F and 60i.

Since in both mode, F or i, camera records in interlaced, when capturing via firewire or SDI to FCP I have to select the 50i in my capture settings. So, basicly, how is the end result different? I mean, does this mean, that when I playback 50i which was captured as 25F (but recorded 25F) I actuallly get progressive frame? Does it not mater how you capture it from camera to computer? Or do I have to deal with some conversion to achieve 25p or something like that?

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old January 7th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levan Bakhia
camera records in interlaced, when capturing via firewire or SDI to FCP I have to select the 50i in my capture settings. So, basicly, how is the end result different? I mean, does this mean, that when I playback 50i which was captured as 25F (but recorded 25F) I actuallly get progressive frame?
No, the camera does not record in interlaced when you select 25f. It records progressive. I think the problme is Final Cut Pro 5 does not support the new PAL version of HDV2. Let's wait 'till Monday to see what is announced.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #11
Major Player

HDVxDV is supposed to do the capture and the conversion but in two separate passes. I have one copy of the trial program running on each of two machines. One will capture but not convert (G4 power book) and the other will convert but not capture (Dual G5). Conversion can be done by MPEG Streamclip.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Nystrom
You can capture through FW (at least for 50i, haven't managed 25f yet). Shannon, if you rember the program to convert to AIC - please post! Would be most helpful! //All Best Jonas
Thanks Jonas. I forgot this is based on 1080i. You don´t think much about that when looking at the footage because it looks progressive.

I captured 25F using the HDV Apple-intermediate codec preset. Worked like a charm. I then used these sequense settings in the timeline. See link.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3...setting8wa.png

It´s 1080i but it looks and feels like progressive. I will take a deeper look at the seperat fields later. For now, this is all I need to know.

I never thought it could be this easy. It´s just like editing DV :)))
I tried some color corr. and it´s realtime as always. My decklink SD card does the realtime downrez to my 800 line SD monitor. I´m very pleased.
Old January 8th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
No, the camera does not record in interlaced when you select 25f. It records progressive. I think the problme is Final Cut Pro 5 does not support the new PAL version of HDV2. Let's wait 'till Monday to see what is announced.

- ShannonRawls.com
Well, Ok, I used the wrong word. In 25F camera records in 25fps progressive and outputs signal converted into 50 fps interlaced. (these is exact sentence from manual) So what I meant in my question was the following:

Since it does output signal in 50i, in FCP or even HDVxDV it is captured via firewire exactly as it is output - 50 fps interlaced. So what do I get on the computer? It technically is 50fps interlaced, I understand that the original recorded data was progressive, but when I playback, is it progressive or is it interlaced. Or is there any way to convert it to true progressive, like for example to deinterlace?

Oh, and BTW Shannon, you had a whole lot of influence on my decision to buy the camera, and I love it, but this technical stuff I don't understand, and on the same time couldn't get the final answer.

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old January 8th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levan Bakhia
Since it does output signal in 50i, in FCP or even HDVxDV it is captured via firewire exactly as it is output - 50 fps interlaced. So what do I get on the computer?
You get progressive frames. At least that´s how it looks and feels like. No interlace flicker in frames.
Old January 8th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #15
Major Player

I have managed to capture in FCP 5 (from Canon running at 30f) using their intermediate HDV codec, but FCP throws up nasty messages at me when I try to bring the file into a timeline so I can't view it or edit it. I was, however, able to view the material during capture, so I'm assumiong it got inside the computer somehow!

Shannon, or anyone, as you seem to have edited 30f material in FCP, could you please share with me the workflow of how you got there?

I don't want to have to wait for Apple's "promised" codec update.

Many thanks.

Best

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders