LIT Pixel is KILLING ME at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 9th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #1
Trustee

LIT Pixel is KILLING ME

OK folks here's the deal, I didn't think it would bother me this much, but this lit pixel is absolutely killing me on set, everyone else is accepting it but, for me it's just completely unaccptable. I called canon and they weren't really any help at all (I can send in the camera but then production is down for at least a week and probably even longer because evidentally it takes 6-8 weeks for my enrollment in the xl owners club to go into effect)

So here's my appeal to any and all button pushers. If someone can find me the correct series of buttons to get into a service menu of any sort so that I can mask the pixel, you will have my extreme admiration (and heck I'll paypal you a couple of bucks if you like) It's just so frustrating that canon can't help me at all in this situation, for what, on most cameras (at least HD cameras) is something that is user serviceable.

(oh and I'm not really blaming canon, there's a lot of darn pixels in a small space lit ones are inevitable in some of the cams that are released, and ideally I would have had time before the shoot to send it in, but that just didn't happen in this case)
Old January 9th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #2
Major Player

I've felt the same frustration with my digital SLR. I can't really help you get rid of it in camera, but I'm thinking you can just place a different coloured pixel over it in post production when you're editing. It will be in the same place in every frame, so it shouldn't be too bad - where is it in the frame? Maybe just place a black pixel over it so it isn't as obvious (I'm assuming it's red or blue).
Also, I'm presuming you've checked to make sure it wasn't just in the viewfinder - the XL2 I use has one in the viewfinder that doesn't show up in recordings
hope this helps.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #3
Major Player

In post (using something like Shake or AE) you could simply copy an adjacent pixel in over the hot pixel.

In camera, there might be one approach to try.
In my GL2 and even little ZR cameras, there is a memory card for storing photos. The camera allows images in these cards to be composited with video in camera using either bluescreen keying or luma value multiplication.

If your XL has this feature too (no idea if the H1 does or not) you could make an all white JPG image with a single dark gray pixel at the location of your hot pixel. This will not "fix" the hot pixel, but it should knock it down from bright white to a less intrusive gray based on the value you place into the image.
Old January 9th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I can't believe you have not sent the camera back to the dealer for replacement. A hot pixel at 0db on a brand new camera has to be considered a defect, having to wait 6-8 weeks is a joke.
Old January 9th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks guys, yeah the editors aren't too worried about it, it's just me. Alister I am definitely planning on sending the camera back, but right now that's not an option as the show must go on. (also you can see it a -3db gain) Yeah, I'm kinda really upset with canon right now, but I was just hoping for some sort of fix.

Oh and yeah it's blue, and in the bottom left quadrent. Nick, I have no idea if that will work or not, but I'll sure try and get it to work. Yeah it shows up in viewfinder and hd-SDi monitor and if you look at the clip I sent chris when he posts it, you should be able to see it. I hate the time I'm losing sending it back to canon though, seems like there should be a little bit more QC on the camera's they're marketing as "professional" either that or a user option for masking pixels. And the 6-8 week replacement is to get a free temp replacement from canon while they service my camera.
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The camera has a dead/fixed pixel issue..eeeeeeeee,,I hate ccd's. This is why Cmos needs to happen today....

Don't worry Canon will map it out for you... Get it to the Irvine facility in CA...

XLH1 and HVX200 frame grabs and news here:
http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms

Michael Pappas
Arrfilms@hotmail.com
PappasArts & Arrfilms Main site

XLH1 and HVX200 frame grabs and news here:
http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms

http://www.PappasArts.com
http://www.Myspace.com/
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Ofcourse that's a temp fix, but he needs to get it either replaced or serviced. Thats a whole render pass to your footage and that's not good for quality.

Nick who is your dealer? Call them and have them replace that camera pronto. Call them to swap it out. Have them send you a new one and send that one back. Tell them your filming a movie. If they won't help you , thell them their going to loose your business and you will spread the word about them.....

That shiat pisses me off. Dead pixels. Can you imagine a hair in the gate you couldn't blow out or remove from your Panavision 35.... aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.....

[QUOTE=Nick Jushchyshyn]In post (using something like Shake or AE) you could simply copy an adjacent pixel in over the hot pixel.
Old January 9th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #8
Hellgate Pictures, Inc.

What color is this "hot pixel". It could be a number of things some easy to fix?
Walter Graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #9
Major Player

I thought Canon was spending all this time setting up a pro dealer network, limiting where this camera is sold, etc. so that they could provide a higher level of "professional" service on this camcorder. Getting a new $9,000 camcorder with a stuck pixel is pretty bad, but I suppose that happens. Expecting you to wait 6-8 weeks for a fix?? That doesn't sound right. That sounds exactly like the level of service I'd expect on a $400 Elura, not Canon's flagship. Nick, I've followed some of your posts and I know you haven't had this camera for too long. If you can't just swap that unit out at your dealer then Canon is doing something wrong.

So do like Michael recommends and call your dealer and have them swap that camera out ASAP. Since Canon has apparently hand picked XLH1 dealers for high levels of quality (and probably volume), your dealer really shouldn't have any trouble with that request.

Good luck!
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #10
Major Player

http://www.revisionfx.com/rfil.htm
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #11
Major Player

My dealer in the UK told me that their (new XLH1) contract with Canon requires them to keep 3 cameras in stock incase a sold unit developes a fault. I am surprised it is not the same in the US. The company has had to apply to Canon to see if they are "suitable" to stock the camera.

Like my dealer said, it looks like the contract should be being signed by CANON, promising they will act like a broadcast manufacturer.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Well there you go Nick, Call your DEALER! If all else fails I will place a call to people I know at Canon. This is BS 6 weeks to fix. Btw, who is the dealer you purchased the H1?
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #13
Trustee

I spoke to the dealer, and they'll gladly take it in, but they don't have a loaner, (it just went out today for the rest of the week) I should stress no one's told me that it would take 6 weeks to fix, just that's how long until the owners club goes through (where they'll replace your camera with a loaner from canon). The dealer is also in L.A. (BandPro) and I've talked to them, but there's not much they can do either.
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #14
Regular Crew

BandPro is top notch.

pappas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
I spoke to the dealer, and they'll gladly take it in, but they don't have a loaner, (it just went out today for the rest of the week) I should stress no one's told me that it would take 6 weeks to fix, just that's how long until the owners club goes through (where they'll replace your camera with a loaner from canon). The dealer is also in L.A. (BandPro) and I've talked to them, but there's not much they can do either.
Old January 9th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I know this is not the solution for a camera just out of the box but for future reference does the H1 allow pixel masking through a service menu?
Matthew Greene is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders