a few questions from an HVX leaning person... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 9th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #1
Major Player

a few questions from an HVX leaning person...

I have been readingg these forums for awhile and the Canon sounds like a super fantastic camera.
Because of my workflow/price range I lean towards the HVX
however, the resolution/Lowlight/noise issues from the images I have seen have me quite concerned.

I have tried doing a search for these few questions to no avail:
1) How much does the camera weigh? (I have a glidecam smoothshooter that supports up to 10 pounds)
2) I want to use a 35mm adaptor and I have heard that there are issues:
------"From what I heard the HDV encoding used in cameras like the XLH1 has a possibility of causing problems with 35mm adapters. I know for certain the the JVC has been known for this. THe rotating ground class casues havoc with the encoding. If you are looking to use 35mm adapters HDV might not be your best choice."
but with the ability to change lenses on the canon, are there other DOF solutions besides the mini/Letus/Micro/G35
3) I am on Apple and while I know and FCP update will come for 24f, I assume I will be able to log and capture directly into my laptop when it does...
4) I will be shhooting a lot in 24p/f and the resolutions between the Canon & Pany seem to be similar in this settings (Canon being a bit stronger)

Pant, pant, pant.
These are both 2 very good and very different machines and I am weighing which best supports my needs -
I love the colorspace and warmth of the HVX footage I have seen. But a Pristine image is very important.

I am eagerly awaiting the rest comparison tests this week -
Thanks,
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton
1) How much does the camera weigh?
Hello John,
At least this one I could answer. According to the instruction book the body only is 2435 gram. Fully equipped it is 3750 g.

Look around in this excellent site for threads about using 35 mm adapter and about Final Cut Pro and you will probably find answers to your other questions if anybody knows yet.

Good luck with your purchase and decision!
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Johann,
Thank you.
3750g = 8.267 Pounds...Wow.
Hefty but workable
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #4
Trustee

The adapter, isn't hella bad for the codec, but I'll postsome of my feelings on wednesday.
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Nick -
I been following the other thread,
yeah I can't wait to see
John Benton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders