DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   24F to DV100 24p works! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/58358-24f-dv100-24p-works.html)

Barlow Elton January 15th, 2006 05:11 PM

24F to DV100 24p works!

Hidely ho, neighbors!

Ok, I've finally figured out how to get some of my 24F SDI tethered shots from the DVCPROHD codec, extracting the 2:3 pulldown from the 1080i in Cinema Tools and leaving the progressive frames in the codec, at 23.98 without any recompression. It took quite a few tries until I found the right reverse telecine process.

Anywho, no, I didn't roll HDV at the same time, so later on down the road I'll be able to show a good comparison between the codecs, but for now, look at the clip and judge it for how it delivers 1080p in DVCPROHD. It's a 12 sec. FCP QT clip of raw DV100. I'll put up an h.264 for you non-fcp folks soon.

Btw, whatever resolution your monitor is running, I recommend setting QT player to :

present movie>full screen. Loop it too, if you can. You will have choppy playback unless the player scales it to 16x9 properly to your monitor. I have a G5 2.7 with my monitor set to 1600x1200 and it doesn't play smoothly unless I do this. You can view the actual resolution, but unless you have a fast mac/pc and a 1900x1200 display, it will probably be choppy.

www.homepage.mac.com/mrbarlowelton

Comments?

Ashley Hosking January 15th, 2006 11:17 PM

The h.264 looks good! A lot less noise and artifacts in the image then the HDV footage, only complaint is its choppy on my PC, but thats to be expected on windows.

How did you record it to SDI? Really long SDI cable back to your house?

My HD display is on my PC at the moment so I'll have to dig up quicktimepro for windows to have a look at the DVCPROHD footage.

Thanks Barlow, More comments to come.

Shannon Rawls January 16th, 2006 03:25 AM

Hmmmm, I didn't notice "a lot" less anything. I guess that's because I've never really seen a lot of noise or artifacts in the canon hdv footage to begin with.

Barlow...your tests are great and we really appriciate the time you're taking to do this good stuff. Please keep it coming and keep up the good work.

On your next test, please roll some tape as well, so we can do a perfect comparison of HDV and DVCPRO-HD. It would be nice if you had a Panasonic 1200 deck. But it's all good. If you are in fact recordng a genuwine DVCPRO-HD stream, then if you did this comparison, you will be the the 1st in the world to ever do it! a direct comparison of HDV & DVCPRO-HD coming from the same camera, lens, filters, head, image settings, etc.... AT PRECISELY THE SAME TIME & POSITION. There would be NO DENYING the outcome if you provide like 10-20 seconds of raw footage to us.

- ShannonRawls.com

Barlow Elton January 16th, 2006 10:24 AM

Workin' on it, Shannon. I'll do that test, but I pretty much already know there's hardly going to be a difference. The HDV is superb, but I do like scrubbing in an i-frame codec.

Shannon Rawls January 16th, 2006 01:08 PM

I dunno about that Barlow,

I expect DVCPRO-HD to spank the HDV codec when it comes to camera movement.
I expect HDV to spank the DVCPRO-HD codec when it comes to locked off tripod shots.

.......after all, Canon even used DVCPRO-HD for their DVD demo where camera movement was needed and they usede HDV where shots were locked on tripod. (think about it). *smile* Either way, it would be nice to see the differences coming from the same camera. It's like the perfect CODEC test.

- ShannonRawls.com