HDSDI and HDV frame grabs - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:41 AM   #31
Wrangler

Perhaps we are all feeling different parts of the elephant, but are in violent agreement that it is, in fact, an elephant. ;-)
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:14 AM   #32
Inner Circle

;)) Very funny, I want to see the hairs on that elephants skin ;)

Thanks

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:23 AM   #33
Regular Crew

There is some noticeable CA in these stills. After seeing so many flaws with these lens, I'd definitely wait until they sold a body only kit, these 20x's are unworthy of such a camera.

Last edited by Nikial Kabel; January 23rd, 2006 at 04:14 AM.
Nikial Kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 05:40 AM   #34
Trustee

Even if this is a still locked down image, mpeg2 is still a form of compression. Even an I frame isn't uncompressed and has a certain level of compression.

What is with the odd noise pattern from the SDI? Yes the hdv frame is softer but it also has much less noise than the SDI frame. To me the SDI frame almost looked like it was from an analog component capture.

Does the SDI port add that much noise or is the mpeg2 compression killing the noise?
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM   #35
Inner Circle

I'm pretty sure what you are seeing is the MPEG compression having a smoothing effect on the noise. When you view the scene as a moving clip the noise is very difficult to see and is only apparent in dark areas. The built in NR2 noise filter will almost completely remove the noise at the mid setting, but it does seem to create some slight aliasing effects instead. Personnaly I don't think the noise is an issue, it would be nice if it was totally noise free, but then a this price point it's not realistic to expect that.

Yes the lens CA is a shame, but it's no worse than a Z1 or HD100, it's just that with the Z1 you can't always see the CA because of all the edge ehnacement being used to try to make the image sharp. This cameras has the resolution to really show even the slightest lens issue. Again without spending $10k or more on a decent lens I think this is what your going to get at this price.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders