30F the same as frame mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 18th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #1
Major Player

30F the same as frame mode?

This is probably an newbie question but I do dare to ask it.. ;-)

I'm browsing the manual and I quote:
30F Mode
Records in 30 fps progressive mode and outputs
signals converted into 60 fps interlaced.

This sounds pretty much similar to the good ol' Frame Mode we know from the Xl1, which I own. Can someone confirm this or not?

If so, can you work with the footage shot in that mode in a standard 60i HDV timeline (FCP for example) without any pulldown or things (just like the XL1 framemode is normal 60i or 50i)? I assume that it works the same then with 50F and 50i in PAL countries (where I live).

Thanks in advance!
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Is this a stupid question or am I to impatient....?
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Vincent,

No, it is not a stupid question.

I am certain someone with the proper expertise will be able to address your question.

It is different, but I do not consider myself expert enough to answer your question. I will attempt to go out on a limb and answer some of the differences. Others with more expertise will add their input.

With the Canon XL-H1, the output is put into an HDV tape stream that can be read by 1080i decks.

The CCD is not a progressive device, it is an interlaced device that is converted through software into a "Frame". This is not called progressive by Canon. Canon, in my opinion is attempting to be very honest.

I hope others will correct any of my misunderstandings. I am a candidate for the XL-H1, but I have not purchased one yet.
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #4
Major Player

There are numerous topics with more information on this. Just do a search and you will find...

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders