Canon XL-H1 setting suggestions ?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 27th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon XL-H1 setting suggestions ??

Greetings - seeking suggestions for Canon XL-H1 settings for winter snow scenics, eagles, white swans on water and blue sky settings, etc. In other words - a lot of white ! Should I go with NR 2 setting, set knee to low - any suggestions would be most greatly appreciated. I am headed to Japan in early February.

I will also "test" my EOS lenses on the camera, etc. Anybody interested in "posting" some short clips to the forum for me ? I am not hi-tech enough to do this. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Russ;
It's hard to determine the proper settings for our XL H1's here in the soggy Northwest. I have experimented and found the blue was set too hi, so reduced it a point or two. Steve Rosen posted settings that seem to work well.

I'll be trying the settings and camera in the snow and cold in the next few weeks. So hopefully you will get some answers to your post.
I have tried various Canon EF lenses and found the 300 2.8 works very well, the 70 - 200 2.8 seems to get a little soft at small apertures. Haven't confirmed this, however. Even my FD 50 - 300 works OK.

I'm a little lame on posting video also, so don't feel your in the boat alone
Give me a call in the next few days, be interesting to know how you did last year. We can compare notes!!
Ron Armstrong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders