DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   re new canon problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/59809-re-new-canon-problems.html)

Mike Leisegang February 3rd, 2006 04:36 PM

re new canon problems

Hi,

Recieved my new XL HI 12 days ago.

Perfect condition all items in box were sealed.

Just beautiful no problems.

Flew to Scottland and noticed a dead pixel in the viewfinder.

Phoned creative video uk who said I should return due to it being under the 28 day warrenty period and that they would replace with a brand new camera from cannon.

Recieved new camera late today. The box had been opened with a sticker seal on box saying ( checked ).
All the internal contents of the box ie body lens etc had been opened with seals removed.

The foam on the mic has been damaged, compressed and will not come back to normal shape.

I told them I was very happy with original camera and maybe just to replace the viewfinder but they insisted I send the whole unit back.

Any advice would be appreciated in where I stand.

Best regards

Mike.

Bryon Akerman February 3rd, 2006 04:55 PM

keep the old camera and new viewfinder and send everything else back.

Or send me the new camera and tell them it must have gotten lost in the mail.

I have a FU-1000 I can plug into it.

Bryon<><

Mike Leisegang February 3rd, 2006 05:10 PM

On a serious note.

Old camera was returned.

Mike.

Nick Hiltgen February 3rd, 2006 10:45 PM

Mike out of curiosity I'm wondering if the dead pixel was in the viewfinder or on the block. Changes in altitude can cause dead pixels to crop up, and the lack of a user controllable masking feature becomes a severe problem.

Has anyone else flown with their xl-h1 and noticed similar problems?

Mike Leisegang February 4th, 2006 05:25 AM

Hi Nick,

Definitly in the viewfinder.

Anybody with suggestions on whether I should have recieved my second replacement camera sealed as per factory or not.

Would really appreciate some input.

Mike.

Mick Jenner February 4th, 2006 05:38 AM

Hi,

Have you spken to your supplier to see if it was checked by them prior to despatch. I don't think there is anything legal wise to say that it should be sent directly to you unopened form the manufacturer.

I would confirm with them that it was they who checked it . Also check to see if there is any use on it Head time ,lace etc. if so then you do not have a new item and a justifiable complaint.

As regards to the mic just get them to replace that item only.

regards

mick

Evan C. King February 4th, 2006 06:07 AM

I would raise hell and have them send me another new one, this time unopened EVERYTHING sealed. I've never put up with treatment like that and never intend to.

Mick Jenner February 4th, 2006 07:04 AM

What you must remember is that here in the Uk aftersales service is a little different to the US. It is upto the supplier to to supply an item suitable for its intended purpose and for the 1st year he is responsible for and arranging for the repair of any manufacturing defects. Therefore it is perfectly reasonable for the supplier to check that items sold by him are in good order before sale.
Please note I am not a supplier. Just giving my take on things

Regards

Mick

Mike Leisegang February 4th, 2006 01:00 PM

Thanks folks.

More input from people in UK would be appreciated.

Mick,

Could you please elaborate on where I can check the points you mentioned on the XL H1. ie:

Head time ,lace etc

Thanks

Mike.

Mick Jenner February 4th, 2006 06:26 PM

I am not an xl owner now, but with the Sony Z1 you can go into the the menu and check the camera useage. I am sure you can do this with the canon, its probably hidden in the instruction book somewhere. Maybe Chris can help out here.

regards

mick

Alister Chapman February 5th, 2006 03:21 AM

I don't think there is any way a user can check the hours on an H1. Perhaps CVP opened the box to check the VF before they sent it to you. However if it has arrived damaged and you are not happy you should send it back. I doubt Canon's own warranty would cover a dead LCD pixel, most LCD manufacturers have an allowable amount of dead pixels. As it dosn't effect the recorded image it could be said to not effect the performance of the camcorder. IMHO the H1 LCD is so poor anyway I would get too hung up over a dead pixel, instead I would invest in the FU-1000.

It's not altitude that causes pixels to fail but cosmic radiation. This is worse at altitude especially nearer the poles where the earths magnetic field concentrates the solar wind. Sunspots and flares will also increase the risk, so if at all possible avoid flying on a polar route during a solar storm. I flew back from the USA a couple of years ago with my Digibeta. During the night flight the pilot informed us that if we looked outside we could see a good display of the Northern Lights. Not what you want to hear!! When I checked the camera after the flight I had over 30 dead pixels, the end result a new CCD block at £8,000... ouch!!

Sony now no longer ship cameras on aircraft that use polar routes.

Graham Bernard February 5th, 2006 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Leisegang
Hi,

Phoned creative video uk who said I should return due to it being under the 28 day warrenty period and that they would replace with a brand new camera from cannon.

What part of Brand New don't people understand?

I deal with ASK-Kamla in Tottenham Court Road here in London. New would be unopened FROM Canon direct. No questions!

I wouldn't even go into the "whys" and "where-fors". I have no experience of "Creative", if they say what you say, an open box and "checked" doesn't stack up for me?

Just as point in case, here in the UK, I for one make my wishes on "bought" products very politely but extremely well known! And I get responses too. PLUS we have very strong Consumer laws to back us up.

They said - "replace with a brand new camera from cannon"? (actually it's Canon!) - well get it!! Get what you paid for! PERIOD!!! This aint no cheapo product.

Grazie

Mathieu Ghekiere February 5th, 2006 05:56 AM

I agree with with Graham, you've paid almost 10.000 dollars for this camera, if it doesn't work, you should get a completely new one, no questions asked.
If this camera really is for the pro market, like they say, you should get a 'pro' treatment too.

Steve House February 5th, 2006 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
I agree with with Graham, you've paid almost 10.000 dollars for this camera, if it doesn't work, you should get a completely new one, no questions asked.
If this camera really is for the pro market, like they say, you should get a 'pro' treatment too.

However to be fair, a single dead pixel in the viewfinder does not equate to a broken camera that doesn't work to spec. Now a dead pixel on the sensor block, that's another matter.

Mathieu Ghekiere February 5th, 2006 10:44 AM

It indeed isn't a serious problem, but I still think after paying 9000 dollar for a camera, you should get it without defects, even if they would be minor.