Viewfinder underscan at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 4th, 2006, 03:56 AM   #1
New Boot

Viewfinder underscan

G'day all, first post.... by way of brief introduction, I'm an ENG camera operator in Australia, just bought a xlh1 to use to shoot an indie doco in a couple of weeks.

I could well be missing something (not yet finished the manual) but when I use the 90% safe zone, I can only see the top maker, the others seem to be out of the frame. Is it me or am I not seeing the whole frame in the viewfinder...... that would not be cool. Any feedback would be welcome, I've got two weeks to get this thing hummin before I start shooting for a 1 hour doco.

One more thing I've tried, but I can't turn off most of the crap I don't really need in the viewfinder (in manual mode), are there any fixes that aren't in the manual?

Brad Smith.
Brad Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #2
Major Player

And the answer is "not cool." The viewfinder on this "professional" deck does indeed NOT show you the entire picture. It drives me crazy at times. Make sure you shoot with that extra 10% in mind.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #3
Trustee

Please please send your comments on to Canon. I notcied the same thing and have been talking to Canon about other things as well. The reponse from them is customer feedback will be taken into consideration as they improve the product.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

G'day Brad,

Another aussie here :)

Yes as Kevin pointed out you are indeed correct, Only 90% of the image is viewable (which is really going to take some getting used to as most of the gear I use is Thompson HD and Sony SD broadcast gear which generally shows you about 10% overscan) I confirmed this with a Canon rep at Digital Media Festival's XLH1 launch at Darling Harbour a few months back.

Whereabouts in aus did you buy your camera from if you dont mind me asking?

I am seriously considering purchasing one of these cameras soon but waiting for opinions on what problems people may be facing first. Also I am waiting for a more competitive price then $13,999.

My other option is the JVC-**7000** 1080p HD camera that is being released later this year, hopefully JVC wont disappoint.

Cheers,
Ashley
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:37 AM   #5
Inner Circle

You can use the FU-1000 monochrome viewfinder, and get full scan.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Anyone got a price for the FU-1000
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #7
Major Player

$ 1,549.95 @ B&H Photo Video.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

But are you guys sure that its gonna work with the H1?
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #8
Inner Circle

It says it will in the manual and there is a dedicated socket for it. But thats not cheap. Guess if I shop around I could get it a little cheaper.
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #9
Trustee

Brad, I don't have the H1 to try, but can't you (as in the the non HD XL body)...just press the EVF display button twice to turn off the unwanted viewfinder information and give a clear view?
Old February 6th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #10
Regular Crew

fu 1000

these go all the time on ebay in very good condition for $700-900. that is where i got mine and got it for $550. just dont make the same mistake as me and remove it while the camera is on. it blew the internal "fuse" and i had to send it to canon. i fear it will be $175 for the work plus shipping/insurance both ways!!
other than that it was very nice on my xl1. i think there is one or two on ebay now.

regards,
greg
Gregory S. Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Anyone know what the res of the FU1000 is?

EDIT: Nevermind I just found it... 500 lines wide... Some nice features but It was designed for the XL1 and I doubt that kinda res is enough for HD, IMHO.
Old February 7th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #12
Inner Circle

500 lines is about as good as you will get on any small VF. The standard H1 VF is only about 300 lines resolution.
Old February 7th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Ashley

The 500 lines res is a great improvement over the LCD. Not to mention it's a true CRT, has peaking controlls and underscan. It's really the best viewfinder available at the moment.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I tried my FU-1000 on a demo XL H1 and the image in the viewfinder was very small. It appeared to cover on a partial portion of the full CRT. It did display the 16:9 correctly, however. I wasn't aware that the standard viewfinder only gave a 90% image at the time so I didn't compare the color VF to the FU-1000 for coverage.

Still considering, but I'm tentatively planning to pick-up an H1 this Friday.
Barry Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #15
New Boot

24 hours later I know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick
Brad, I don't have the H1 to try, but can't you (as in the the non HD XL body)...just press the EVF display button twice to turn off the unwanted viewfinder information and give a clear view?

Indeed Tony you are correct. How silly I felt when I worked that out!! As for the underscan, I'm talking to Canon here in Oz, I fear when they work out what I'm telling them is an actual issue (rather than me not knowing how to operate the camera!), the response will be less enthusiastic.

Also, as for the idea that I should have to purchase another viewfinder to see the full image! I won't be happy if Canon come back to me with that answer!The XL-H1is the most expensive Camcorder in its class (by a good bit), you shouldn't have to purchase an aftermarket viewfinder to see the whole image, especially when one of the functions available is a 90% frame marker which is not even fully covered by the viewfinder!

Thanks all for your replies, I'll post again wiht any results I get from Canon

Brad Smith.
Brad Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders