DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Xl H1 EVF Flip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/59917-xl-h1-evf-flip.html)

Ronald A. Halder February 5th, 2006 02:51 AM

Xl H1 EVF Flip

Does the EVF flip command not work with the stock lense? I can't assigne this command on my camcorder's preset buttons nor can I do this when I use the EF to XL adaptor. Is this a camera problem? Everything else works fine. I love the Cine 2 custom setup color out put, it's fantastic.

Chris Hurd February 5th, 2006 12:11 PM

The EVF Flip function does not work with the stock lens nor with the EF adapter. Whether this lack of compatibility was intentional or not, it's widely considered among end users to be an oversight on Canon's behalf. The EVF Flip function should have been intended to work with the stock lens, in order to allow the use of any number of third-party 35mm adapters which attach to the front of the lens. Unfortunately there is no current way to use the EVF Flip function on the XL H1.

Shawn Alyasiri February 5th, 2006 12:31 PM

?? EVP Flip

Hi. Sorry - I'm not familiar with EVP flip. It's been years since I've worked with a Canon, so I'm not familiar with what you're talking about.

I'm planning on ordering an H1 tomorrow, so I'm interested in this, as it's listed as an anomaly or oversight.

Is this the ability to flip the viewfinder around so the image flips when you're viewing from another vantage (like an LCD that rotates)?

I plan to use this with a mini35 as well, by which I understand the viewfinder mounting gets a little funky, requires a custom bracket, and looks like it's turned at least 90 degrees one way or another.

Would like to know more about this, and would also like to see what people thought about using the camera off your shoulder - that is, at your hip or other free floating positions. I love mini LCD's (like on the Z1/PD150), and really feel like I'm going to miss it. I thought the viewfinder allowed for distance viewing like this, but wanted to know how effective it actually was for run-n-gun b-roll shooting, holding it up over a crowd, etc.

Thanks again,
Shawn

Chris Hurd February 5th, 2006 12:41 PM

Hi Shawn,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Alyasiri
Is this the ability to flip the viewfinder around so the image flips when you're viewing from another vantage (like an LCD that rotates)?

Nope, that's not it (and yes, the H1 has this capability, the EVF itself can be rotated around).

The EVF Flip function Ronald refers to is the ability for the image within the LCD display to be flipped (up for down). With some 35mm adapters, they provide an image that appears upside down in the viewfinder. The EVF Flip function would reverse that image again, so that it appears right side up. However, the EVF Flip function will not operate with a Canon XL lens attached, and all of the homemade / garage variety 35mm adapters mount to the front of the lens. Crippled as it is, the EVF Flip function is useless for the time being. Hope this helps,

Shawn Alyasiri February 5th, 2006 01:57 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

So if I stick this on a mini35, it doesn't matter, cause the prism is flippin' it for you. Am I back on the right track?

I have a bunch of Canon EF lenses as well, and was going to buy the EF adapter. Can I assume then that if I just use an EF prime, the EF adapter, and the H1, that the image will be flipped upside down? I wasn't expecting that, although it's not completely from left field - the redrock is the same I believe, etc...

Is that right, and with the EF mount, you'd flip the image in the viewfinder for shooting convenience (if it worked)?

Thanks much,
Shawn

Chris Hurd February 5th, 2006 02:11 PM

The Mini35, as well as the EF adapter plus any EF photo lens, all deliver a "right side up" image, so no need for EVF Flip.

Shawn Alyasiri February 5th, 2006 02:20 PM

Groovy - I expected that of course with the mini, but wasn't sure with the adapter.

How effective is the viewfinder at a distance. I like the convenience of a side LCD (like the Z1/PD150), and figured it would be more complicated to use the H1 in a low mode, hip shots, and over your head.

Just curious how functional it is to use the VF at a distance.

Is there a switch you hit, extend the tube, or what?

Can't believe I'm going back to Canon - but they're going to get money from me again tomorrow. Good for them I guess...

Barlow Elton February 5th, 2006 04:08 PM

The Flip out EVF/LCD can really come in handy to get low or high angle shots.
It's not nearly large enough to judge any kind of focus if your not eyeballing close to it, but it will most definitely help to frame your shots in a pinch.

I used the flip feature to grab shots of Carlos and Robert Redford when there was a crowd around them at the filmmaker's brunch. I wouldn't of been able to get useable footage of his meeting with him if it weren't for the feature.

Chris Hurd February 5th, 2006 04:12 PM

I think Barlow refers to the LCD EVF flip-open feature, and not the electronic "EVF Flip" custom key.

Barlow Elton February 5th, 2006 04:14 PM

Yes, thanks for the articulation Chris. Sorry for any confusion.

Chris Hurd February 5th, 2006 04:19 PM

Pretty confusing already when the LCD EVF is the "flip up" variety and there's also an "EVF Flip" custom key. It's enough to make me flip out!

Ronald A. Halder February 5th, 2006 08:22 PM

Flip out

Thanks Chris, for not fliping out on the flip quistion. I will try to forget there is a option called EVF Flip on my camera so I don't flip out again.

Alister Chapman February 6th, 2006 05:55 AM

If you remove the stock lens you can assign the flip function to the preset buttons and you can then flip the viewfinder image. Therefore I expect that you would be able to flip the image of any lens that is not electrically conected to the camera body.

Guillaume Tremblay February 6th, 2006 08:00 AM

So if I use the G35 with the relay lens that they intend to do in the next month, I'll be able to use the flip function? Am I wrong?

Alister Chapman February 6th, 2006 08:38 AM

YES you would be able to use the flip function.