DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   2 More Clips (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/59956-2-more-clips.html)

Barlow Elton February 5th, 2006 04:24 PM

2 More Clips

A few more from the H1. "CarlosToMeetBob" is to show a little more on-the-fly manual focusing, and "CarlosStandUp" is to show a little latitude. Carlos was standing under a covered porch outside a small lodge just past noon
at the Sundance resort. I intentionally underexposed the foreground a little.

www.homepage.mac.com/mrbarlowelton

Barlow Elton February 8th, 2006 04:42 PM

I took down the Carlos clips, but now there are a few from a production the other day. It was a re-enactment scene intended to scare parents silly about gun safety issues. The story was about a kid who found his dad's gun and accidentally shot his friend.

Don't worry, the gun's fake.

www.homepage.mac.com/mrbarlowelton

Pete Tomov February 9th, 2006 03:42 AM

I wish my dad had a gun...

Dave Ferdinand February 9th, 2006 12:47 PM

I'm glad the gun's fake, got a bit scared there for a moment.

It looks very nice but the skin tones seem a bit on the reddish side.

Images from this camera seem quite a bit sharper than the HVX. Are this shots frame mode or interlaced?

Pete Tomov February 9th, 2006 12:58 PM

I wish my dad had an H1.

My H1 won't be here for another 2 days.

P.S. Not that I don't think that people should be more carefull with their guns but can this kid even pull the trigger?

Jeff Nelson February 12th, 2006 11:21 PM

Were the "Carlos" shots the ones of the guy at the table speaking spanish about San Francisco? I downloaded some of those the other day from some thread here, don't know if it was your shot or someone elses. Wondering what the frame rate was on those. Thanks.

Barlow Elton February 12th, 2006 11:38 PM

Yeah, that was my shot. 24F within a 29.97 stream.

Jeff Nelson February 12th, 2006 11:48 PM

Thanks. Your footage looks quite good. I put the clips into vegas and did a quick downconvert to SD. Got some jaggedy stuff going on as a result of the downconvert. How smooth does it stay when you downconvert it to SD and how do you do it, assuming you have?

Kevin Wild February 13th, 2006 12:21 AM

Downconverting HD to SD via software is really a full discussion. I've found that in FCP, I cannot just re-size and render to SD from the H1's HDV or DVCProHD codec. After much exploring and help from an After Effects guy, I figured a way to make it look great. Here goes:

Fields need to be reversed since all HD is upper and all SD is lower. Therefore, export an HD QuickTime. Bring it into After Effects and right click on the file and choose "interpret footage" and force it to "upper field." Also, at the bottom, reset to Square Pixels.

Now, make a new comp and make the settings SD (720 x 486). Next, click on your file in the timeline and resize it to either letterboxed 4 x 3 or center cut 4 x 3.

Finally, render it out to an SD codec with lower field. I use Animation, but you can use several good ones.

It sounds long, but it really isn't. It works great and looks MUCH better than the field jitter & jaggies you get when doing it in software.

Kevin

Barlow Elton February 13th, 2006 01:08 AM

I had no problem downconverting through Compressor in FCP Studio. I cropped for 4x3 and simply rendered to DV. I also rendered a test to DV50 (from HDV converted to DVCPRO HD) and it looked great.

Barlow Elton February 13th, 2006 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Ferdinand
It looks very nice but the skin tones seem a bit on the reddish side.

Images from this camera seem quite a bit sharper than the HVX. Are this shots frame mode or interlaced?

I had a +2 Color gain in these shots (of a possible + or - 9) along w/Cinegamma 2 setting...that might account for the extra reddish tone.

Images are sharper with the H1 mainly because it has a higher resolution CCD, (Canon claims 1.67MP...with horizontal pixel shift that gives it the 1920x1080 SDI image) and the lens is quite sharp too. It looks a lot closer to true 1080i/p than the HVX, IMHO.