DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   What Final Cut Pro settings should I use for capturing HDV 60i via firewire? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/60210-what-final-cut-pro-settings-should-i-use-capturing-hdv-60i-via-firewire.html)

Greg Mulvey February 8th, 2006 07:48 PM

What Final Cut Pro settings should I use for capturing HDV 60i via firewire?

I've tried all the HDV settings and nothing seems to work. However, I can capture via the DV Anamorphic settings.

I checked my canon menu settings and the AV>DV is set to OFF and HD DOWN-CONV is greyed out.

When i play the tape back it says HDV60i in the view finder.

When I try the HDV-1080i60 Easy Setup in Final Cut I get this error:

Unable to loacte the following external devices:

HDV (1440x1080) 30 fps

When I go to capture I get this error...

Unable to initizlize Capture Device and Device Control

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg

David Saraceno February 8th, 2006 07:51 PM

My understanding is that Canon's mt2 files are not directly supported by FCP. You have to capture with a 3rd party utility and use MPEG Streamclip.

I hope I'm wrong.

Heath McKnight February 9th, 2006 12:26 AM

I don't think this is happening yet in Final Cut. After my debacles with the HD10 and not being able to edit for almost 2 years (natively), I've decided to wait to buy cameras if they can't be cut in FCP natively or with something like Lumiere HD.

heath

Jonas Nystrom February 9th, 2006 02:58 AM

Not a problem...

...in PAL anyway; I enclose my PAL settings in a mail if you are interested - mail me! //JN

Vincent Rozenberg February 9th, 2006 03:24 AM

Why not post it here Jonas? I Think a lot of people are interested.. Including me! Thanks in advance!

Heath McKnight February 9th, 2006 08:46 AM

I agree; it would benefit everyone here.

Thanks,

Heath

Jonas Nystrom February 9th, 2006 09:20 AM

Of course...

...is it possible to enclose pictures? Here is it in writings:

Sequence Settings

Name: /HDV 1080i 50/

General:
Frame Size:/1440/x/1080/ Aspect ratio: /HD (1440x1080) (16:9)/
Pixel Aspect Ratio: /HD HD (1440x1080)/ Anamorphic 16:9 /not checked/
Field Dominance: /Upper (Odd)/
Editing Timebase: 25

QuickTime Video Settings
Compressor:/Apple Intermediate Codec
Quality: Drawbar at /100%/

Audio:
Rate: /48 Khz/
Depth: /16-bit/

I hope thgis make sense! //JN
Config:

Vincent Rozenberg February 9th, 2006 09:22 AM

Thanks Jonas! Much appreciated! Do you have a particular reason not to work with the HDV codec? Does it not work perhaps?

Jonas Nystrom February 9th, 2006 10:56 AM

Codec

I will not pretend that I know, because I dont know! I just work and according to a thread here somewhere - is the Apple codec a really great looking compressor!

Vincent Rozenberg February 9th, 2006 11:00 AM

It is, but negative side effect is that you lose timecode, is what I've heard. Nevertheless I've to dive in this material myself next weekend so I'll go and figure out somethings. Thanks a bunch anyways!

Jonas Nystrom February 9th, 2006 11:43 AM

!

No loss of timecode as far as I know. I have TC on the clip and TC logged from the source. Used five minutes a go to re-capture a clip. Or is it something I have lost...? In FCE is it this stupid thing (which I have aswell), you don't have get TC logged from source.

Vincent Rozenberg February 9th, 2006 11:45 AM

Well, what I've heard/read was wrong then, thanks for checking it out!

Jonas Nystrom February 9th, 2006 12:04 PM

Batch Capture

Smart thing in FCP is to do a batch capture (maybe everone know's, but its quite new for me). Have done it today, captured footage from a runway show which I will make on film. Just put in the tape in H1, set your capture, click on "now" - and let the tape run to end. FCP capture, and cut it up, clip by clip. Fastest way to get rid of the most boring part of film-making.

And XL H1, really rocked the low light conditions on the set - produced fantastic footage at +6db (really low noise) - and great dynamics, in difficult light (all from brightest white to pitch black). And I did some great B/W footage backstage - but that's another story - which I will put on a thread with clips in a few days...

Vincent Rozenberg February 9th, 2006 01:18 PM

Oh yeah, I totally agree on the +6DB gain thing! Couldn't believe it when I saw it at first! Now I'm not so scary to use it..

Heath McKnight February 9th, 2006 07:02 PM

FYI, I noticed gain at +9 or so was noisy, but not +6, like the Z1. Very cool.

heath