Great Camera - any 24F advice for sale? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 9th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Great Camera - any 24F advice for sale?

Hello gang. The H1 surprised me and showed up a day early. I've gotta say, I'm quite impressed with it - so far I think it's a pretty incredible little machine. I really feel like I could go out, shoot and deliver a 60i piece tomorrow - intuitive design with incredible images.

I've been doing some additional testing and would like to request some overall 24F/24P advice. I'm new to 24P, telecine, 2:3, 2:3:3:2 pulldown, any additional stipulations/limitation placed on/with 24F, etc, so please forgive me.

For reference below, I monitor my HD 720 and 1080 content (from Edius breakout box via component) on a big Sony Wega tube widescreen.

How are you capturing your 24F footage? I'm using Canopus Edius SP with the new 3.6+ updates that tout Canon compatibility. If I recall correctly, I can capture as 1080 24p, 1080 24pA, or 1080 60i (which I would guess not for 24F) - this is all assuming that I would capture directly from the camera via firewire.

I can edit in 1080 24p or 1080 60i timelines (and others 30p, etc). I would like to combine footage that is shot in 60i (hyper feel) with footage shot in 24F (filmic feel). I can do this effectively in a 60i timeline. However, I'm noticing a bit of ghosting/jerkiness on the 24F footage. Again, I'm new to it, but I assume it's because it's filling in 2 frames of 'this frame', 3 frames of 'that frame'to be on a normal timeline. Maybe I should expect this, or maybe I'm wrong.

My hope and assumption is that I can (pre)conform the 24F footage to play 'smoothly' on a 60i or 29.97 timeline (post render from a 23.97 timeline, use a 3rd party tool, or just drop it into the correct timeline). I see a lot of B-roll these days on shows that I am assuming are probably shot as 24p (probably on the small panny's). Not familiar with the AGX100's or the flow, but the footage looks very nice, 'filmic', with a smoothness to it. I'm not noticing ghosting or any jerkiness, unless I'm missing it.

Perhaps I'm incorrect or asking more from 24F (a new spec) than what it is supposed to provide. There are a lot of topics for film out - I guess I'm asking for advice on the best way to get 24F for 'Videoout' - with a smooth film like emulation, be it in editing, or certainly on a final medium (DVD, tape, etc).

The 60i stuff looks incredible, and I can drop it in and edit with no problems - incredible look and feel - nice camera. I feel like I'm very close on the 24, but probably need a good overall lesson on a suggested path/workflow. My test DVD's look great - just feels like I need a tweak.

Any advice is enormously appreciated.

Thanks as always,
Shawn
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Does Edius have any "conform" options for 24F to 60i? It might smooth things.

My guess is that you might have to render a final "conform" to rebuild GOP's of HDV (MPEG 2) into a final 60i sequence. This is where I dislike HDV, and prefer other formats for post.

You might want to consider editing in DVCPROHD if Edius supports it.

Does the component HD output from Edius look a bit jerky on your Sony WEGA in 1080i? If it does, it's probably not rendered in the correct pulldown to fit the 1080i material. It might be an "on-the-fly" pulldown that isn't as smooth as a rendered pulldown.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders