Thinking of getting the XL H1… good/bad idea? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 10th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #16
Major Player

Another good point. Looks do matter. It's certainly superficial, but it's true, people that aren't camera savvy will think a JVC HD100 or XL-H1 is more professional than a camera with a handycam form factor, no matter how beefy, ala FX-1 or even HVX200.

Neither the JVC or Canon is all that big, but it crosses a threshold towards the pro cam look.

If it were me doing this, I think I'd opt for the JVC.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #17
Trustee

Anyone know the main differences between the HD100 and XLH1 and why the dramatic price difference? I'd love to upgrade from my XL2 but I myself am stuck with which way to go. I use the mini35 so I definitely want a camera where the lens comes completely off. I also need to shoot 24p but read in the HD shootout on DVXuser that the H1 does some kind of weird field doubling in 24p mode... this does not sound that great to me. But as Barlow pointed out the JVC does not do live 60hz HD.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #18
Major Player

take a look at a few 24F H1 clips. Do these look field-doubled to you?

I believe it's a good deinterlace of 48i to make a virtual 24p. Definitely works for me!

www.homepage.mac.com/mrbarlowelton (btw, the gun isn't real. It's a PSA about gun safety)

I think the price differential is partly Canon being Canon, (I think a fair amount of R&D went into the cam to be fair) and the Pro Jackpack options.

The JVC is a screamin' deal, but it's a little bit limited when you consider you don't get 60p from tape.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #19
Major Player

Being an XL2 owner and using Sony, I have had the opportunity to shoot with Canon and Sony in wedding environments. Which one is better? Depends on the wedding. Anything outdoors with good light?-Canon. Having the flexibility with a long lense and or wide angle is nice. Canon loves light. Shallow depth of field is easier to achieve with the Cannon.

Now the last wedding I shot I used a Sony PD-170 and my XL2 (and a third cam rolling for establishing shots). This was an indoor wedding and I had to use lights because it was so dark. I still had to gain up the Canon and the image became soft....too soft. The sony loves low light conditions and it is easier to tote around getting interviews (smaller cams mean less intimidation from interviewees).

On a side note, even though I don't make my living shooting weddings, I feel 3 prosumer cameras are essential for wedding shoots over $2,000 (and 3 of the same cameras makes it way easier to match.) I spent many moons figuring out how to match the color of Sony and the Canon. So if you are serious about running a wedding video business, I would not worry about HD and I would really hone in on SD with 3 nice cameras. If it were me, I would probably go with Sony, because they work well in low light and are easier to move around. Turning on lights is a hasstle, and just seems too intusive for a wedding. Having the good "looks" with big camera is not important to me. If I have 3 PD-170's or FX1's, I will look professional- no doubt. Plus the proof is in the pudding- and your reputation as a shooter. Believe me, a third camera is a must. Live shooting can be stressful for some and it's nice to have a third cam grabbing the audience in case of a focus pull issue or in case you need to move your camera because the wedding party missed their marks on the alter. I don't know the demand for HD weddings right now, but I wouldn't worry about that. Go for a solid SD package that is seemless with edits and good imagery. Just my $.02. Hope this helps!
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #20
Major Player

Just to throw in another angle.. ;-) :
I've shot with the XL1 since 1998 and still using it occasionally. But I'm aware that the camera is on it's end. So 8 years with that camera.

Now I'm shooting with my brand new XL H1, mostly in SD, but I think that with in 2 years from now most of it will be HD. So you can say 1 investment to handle both..
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Rozenberg
Just to throw in another angle.. ;-) :
I've shot with the XL1 since 1998 and still using it occasionally. But I'm aware that the camera is on it's end. So 8 years with that camera.

Now I'm shooting with my brand new XL H1, mostly in SD, but I think that with in 2 years from now most of it will be HD. So you can say 1 investment to handle both..
Vincent, how much better is the SD picture from the XL H1 compared to that from your old XL1?
I know it of course be much better, but can you go into more detail? Just curious...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #22
Major Player

@ Mathieu: A world of difference I can tell you that! More detail, more resolution, richer colours, sharper, less noise.. All the things you can think of. Beside the picture there's the whole operating aspect which has been improved as well (viewfinder, shoulder pad, xlr, lens, settings etc.). No wonder, we're about 9 years further since the release of the XL1..

But I think this is bringing us slightly of topic don't you think? Maybe an idea for an other topic..? ;-)
Old February 10th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #23
Trustee

So many angles, so many choices...

So Andrew - have you come to any conclusion yet? Will it be SD or HD, and if HD which one? Sony, JVC, Canon or Panasonic?
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hingsberg
So many angles, so many choices...

So Andrew - have you come to any conclusion yet? Will it be SD or HD, and if HD which one? Sony, JVC, Canon or Panasonic?
Well Dennis… these are questions that I can’t wait to answer myself… although I now feel I am getting very close to these answers. I am not one to rush into something like this lightly… after all why make a quick decision and end up paying for it in the long run as I am sure you will all understand. Although I really cant wait to have it all ordered… also the hard drive of my editing computer packed in last night… ever feel like the world is against you sometimes? ;-)

So far my train of though has been this… I have wanted the Canon XL2 for some time, called it my dream camcorder but felt it was too expensive for just SD. I then looked at the JVC HD100 and was very impressed and really considered it but it hasn’t got image stabilizer and auto focus… a bit of a kick in the teeth as if it had these it could have been ordered and all. (for weddings… no second chance et these two things are needed IMO)

Then came looking at the XL H1… looking back I think it was too hash to look into this camcorder at this time, I just figured it was an XL2 with HV… I figured how could you go wrong? Although I got priced a very good deal with one with (package deal with all accessories etc) I took a step back and figured this is just too much money… you could get two XL2’s for this. So my mind went back to the XL2.

Then last night for no reason at all my mind was drawn to the Sony FX-1, as I could get three for one XL H1, shoot in HD and convert to SD with the option for bride and groom down the line etc to get a HD version, then just now I come onto this forum and people have been suggesting the Sony FX-1… funny how that happened… or maybe not.

So I am now seriously looking into the FX-1, I read reviews that the mic isn’t too hot on this camcorder so I will look into an external mic (any suggestions). A downside of this camcorder is it’s looks when you see a XL2 of HD100 because I feel this is a very valid point as its been said before but at the end of the day when the happy couple are sitting watching excellent footage will they say “pity the camcorder wasn’t bigger or didn’t look more professional” I’d doubt it very much! Also I could upgrade a year or two down the line or even keep this one for all the price of it.

If your still reading this thanks and any more comments on the stuff I have written will (as always) be very welcomed and thanks again guys for all and the continued input it’s a great site and community I have come across here, one which I will now very much be part of.
Andrew Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #25
Major Player

"A downside of this camcorder is it’s looks when you see a XL2 of HD100 because I feel this is a very valid point as its been said before but at the end of the day when the happy couple are sitting watching excellent footage will they say “pity the camcorder wasn’t bigger or didn’t look more professional” I’d doubt it very much! Also I could upgrade a year or two down the line or even keep this one for all the price of it."

I couldnt use a Sony because of this. It looks like a toy and I can charge a lot more for my work with the Canon. I do like the JVC but it worries me that it doesnt have image stabalisation. I use my camera for a living and it is important that the gear I use looks professional. I cant for the life of me see how anyone would think that the Sony was more then a camera that Uncle Bob would have at home.
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Robinson
I couldnt use a Sony because of this. It looks like a toy and I can charge a lot more for my work with the Canon. I do like the JVC but it worries me that it doesnt have image stabalisation. I use my camera for a living and it is important that the gear I use looks professional. I cant for the life of me see how anyone would think that the Sony was more then a camera that Uncle Bob would have at home.
Again good point… this is a reason I wanted the Canon XL2, you bring that out at a wedding and everyone will think professional!!!
Andrew Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #27
Major Player

Hi Andrew,
I have been reding the posts here for some time but that was my first post. How do you select a quote like you displayed mine?
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #28
Major Player

Click on the quote button underneath each post. Then delete the text you do not want to quote..
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Rozenberg
Click on the quote button underneath each post. Then delete the text you do not want to quote..
Thanks Vincent,
I just have to try it.
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #30
Major Player

I just recently saw the JVCHD100 camera but I understand that it doesnt have auto focus and image stabilisation. Does anyone have any thoughts on the lack of these features. I am currently using a Canon XL1s and want to move to either the Canon or new JVC HDV cameras

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders