Capturing audio when capturing through HD-SDI at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 10th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Capturing audio when capturing through HD-SDI

I have been shooting in 24F HDV and converting the .m2t files to DV100 before editing in Final Cut Pro. I am looking into using the HD-SDI port for uncompressed capture. But my question is how would I capture my audio? When capturing through HD-SDI, can I assume that the audio doesn't go through the MPEG compression as well? Since the audio doesn't capture through the HD-SDI, how would I be able to capture uncompressed, if thats possible? Thanks in advance ...
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #2
Major Player

The only way is via the Analog audio outputs of the camera.

You only can capture uncompressed if you record it uncompressed. HDV audio recording is then not an option. An idea is to sync a DAT-recorder or something like that with the XL H1, via the SMPTE-timecode output and Genlock. Im looking into that for a documentary I'm shooting in the nearby future.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Michael,

If you're shooting directly into the computer and bypassing HDV, you can indeed get uncompressed audio. If you're playing back from tape, at the very least, you can go RCA analog out to the Stereo mini-plug in of the G5.
This actually works better than most would think, and it's a 16bit 48Khz uncompressed acquisition of the HDV audio you will capture into DV100. I did this with an entire hour's capture of HDV and it worked fine with no sync issues.

If you go this route, I would recommend boosting the output of the H1 slightly through a mixer. Same thing if you get a Kona and go RCA to XLR in.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for your responses. It seems that syncing a DAT recorder or deparate audio recorder would give me the best quality audio. If I used the analog audio out ports, what kind of audio quality would I get, as I have never recorded from those ports before ...
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Check out the Tascam HD-P2. It records to compact flash and microdrives and can take timecode in from the H1. I just got one and haven't tested it too much, but so far I love it. Great little unit and it's just under $1k. MUCH better than a DAT deck. Just plug it in to your computer via firewire and transfer the files.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
Check out the Tascam HD-P2. It records to compact flash and microdrives and can take timecode in from the H1. I just got one and haven't tested it too much, but so far I love it. Great little unit and it's just under $1k. MUCH better than a DAT deck. Just plug it in to your computer via firewire and transfer the files.

KW
Kevin: Do you have any experience with sync'ing the HD-P2 audio with the XL-H1 video? Would love a firsthand report of what the workflow is like to record audio and end up with it on an FCP timeline all matched up with the video.
John Cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Soon...very soon. This unit is pretty new and I just got mine. I'll be pushing it to it's limits though next week when I shoot an opera. Not only will it really test the dynamic range of this unit, but it will also be a LONG, one-take show. (Maybe 2) So, I'll know right away if it's syncing when I plop it in the timeline.

It'll be a week or two, but I will definitely report back!

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #8
Trustee

Test of Tascam

Kevin, Does the Tascam actually hold its timecode value if it is not connected to the timecode source? Some people say it remembers it until you power off and others say it doesn't.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders