DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Is anyone using 30F? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/60443-anyone-using-30f.html)

Shawn Alyasiri February 11th, 2006 04:48 PM

Is anyone using 30F?

Hi. I'm into my 3rd day now - pretty nifty camera. I think I like the majority of the features I have, and what I don't like, I'll quickly get used to (considering everthing else bundled into it). Would love to see this with a more 'manual' lens, etc.

I assume that I'm going to use 60i the majority of the time, to provide 'hyper feel' for clients, etc. I've also been very curious about the 'filmic' look that may be capable using 24F.

Just wondering if anyone has been using 30F (assuming 30p with the same technical stipulations Canon has as 24F is to 24p)? It may allow me to (more) easily integrate footage in with 60i content on the same timeline, where 24F tends to stutter a bit more (still new to 24 anything, so I'm not sure I've given pull down it's proper steps).

I'm not looking for filmouts, so I'm wondering if anyone is solely doing video, using 30F/30p to give the footage that more 'filmic/progressive' feel, that's still easy to work with in a 29.97 timeline (say with 60i material, etc). It seems as though 30F at 1/60th provides nice fluid results (1/30 with some more blur, etc), with minimum stutter, but similar 'progressive' appeal. That appeal being that when you shoot someone in your kitchen in a progressive mode, it doesn't feel like your kitchen - a bit smoother, more filmic with a slight 'separation' from reality. Seems like a lot of B-roll footage on tv is using this - like outside shots on Lisa Loeb's show, the Taxi-cab gameshow, 1/2 the commercials you see today, etc.

Just wondering if it's a viable option/medium, or if there are any warnings/pitfalls associated. I still understand that you'll need to be careful about panning, whipping, the speed of composition, etc. There is still a little blur/stutter, but I think that may be the whole point.

I would think that if there was any intention of providing something on film, 30F/30p would really be problematic. This is not the case here... video, tape & DVD.

Any thoughts.

Thanks again for a great forum.

Shawn

Harry Bromley-Davenport February 11th, 2006 04:53 PM

I'm going to be starting a feature in two weeks, so I spent a day on the location recce shooting at 30f and 1/30th. I did not have a monitor with me, and when I got back and viewed the footage I found the 1/30th setting unacceptably blurry.

I agree that the 24f seems a little jerky. So I'm going to give it a shot at 30f and 1/60th.

But, if I were you, I'd forget the 1/30th setting. Too much smudging - particularly during camera pans.

Best

Harry