25f or 50i for FILMOUT ? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 13th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #1
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Stockton on Tees,UK
Posts: 21
25f or 50i for FILMOUT ?

Firstly many thanks to everyone who create a great source of shared info.I have been reading these boards now for over 6 months.
Sorry if this has been addressed fully but I couldn't seem to find a definitive answer.

I am on the verge of going for the canon xl h1 but am struggling with which way to go for our first feature.

Should I use 25f or 50i for a feature project in PAL land. I have really like the 24f I have been watching and so wouldlike to do as much look ' in camera' where possible.

I know FCP does not properly support 24for 25f but is there a fundamental problem using this f for filmout once the workflow is sorted?

My setup is quad g5;FCP.

Big factor is shoot we in March with the editor editing while we shoot. So FCP 6 is still not with us for this edit.


In a sentence what is the word on 25f versus 50i for filmout.

Many thanks for your thoughts.
David Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UT
Posts: 945
Make your life easier and shoot 25F, and get a Blackmagic Decklink HD card, and edit in DVCRPRO HD at 25P. Fortunately, in PAL land, there's no pulldown extraction issues that you would need to worry about.

Is there any fundamental reason you want to shoot 24F for 25P? Isn't it easiest just to shoot 25F and then do the speed change in post?
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 26,900
Images: 513
If you liked the "North American" 24F, then go ahead and shoot in 25F. There's no visual difference and it's very easy to convert to 24fps for a film-out.
__________________
CH

Search DV Info Net | DV Info Net Sponsors | A Decade (+5) of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #4
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Stockton on Tees,UK
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
Make your life easier and shoot 25F, and get a Blackmagic Decklink HD card, and edit in DVCRPRO HD at 25P. Fortunately, in PAL land, there's no pulldown extraction issues that you would need to worry about.

Is there any fundamental reason you want to shoot 24F for 25P? Isn't it easiest just to shoot 25F and then do the speed change in post?
Barlow actualy it was your missundance2 clip that tipped me so many thanks. As its such a big project, I just wanted a confidence boost to confirm there was no unkown issue for me to go 25f rather than 50i when deciding on preparing for filmout. DOP and I far prefer the "f" rather than "i"look.
David Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #5
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Stockton on Tees,UK
Posts: 21
25f OR 50i for FILMOUT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
If you liked the "North American" 24F, then go ahead and shoot in 25F. There's no visual difference and it's very easy to convert to 24fps for a film-out.


Thanks Chris. Just wanted assurance that there was no issue using 25f versus 50i. Many thanks for the ridulously good free info we all get on this board.
David Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UT
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mills
Barlow actualy it was your missundance2 clip that tipped me so many thanks. As its such a big project, I just wanted a confidence boost to confirm there was no unkown issue for me to go 25f rather than 50i when deciding on preparing for filmout. DOP and I far prefer the "f" rather than "i"look.
Glad the clip helped. You won't be disappointed with the filmic look and feel (and resolution) you can achieve with the H1. I'm sure it'll make a great film-out or 1080p projected source.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:24 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network