XLH1 viewfinder question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 14th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Trustee

XLH1 viewfinder question

I've been shooting with an XL2 and am considering a change.I had a couple of questions about the h1 viewfinder.
1- Does the focus assist feature magnify the shot( to help see the focus) without having to zoom in?
2- I have a fu-1000 monochrome viewfinder . Is anyone using it ion the XLH!, and does it allow you to use all the new viewfinder features?
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Easiest reply I've made all day! The answers to your questions are yes and yes, Bruce!

;-)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #3
Trustee

To compound on what Chris said I've just purchased the fu-1000 and it's easily the best money I've spent towards this camera. I think it's not only a question of can you use it but why wouldn't you use it. Color is great and everything but as far as pulling focus i'll take the fu-1000 anyday.
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Chris and Nick. Focus has been difficult for me with the XL2, since I stay in manual and do a lot of "chaotic" events ( not to mention 58 year old eyes).How much easier is it to get good focus with the XLH1 ( of course I'd keep my fu 1000)?
Bruce Yarock
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #5
Major Player

My biggest problem is not the viewfinder but the lens which doesn't stop.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #6
Trustee

Vincent,
Could you explain more what you mean by "doesn't stop"? Are you talking about in manual mode, or in auto focus?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Old February 15th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

I think he refers to the control rings on the auto lens... they don't stop turning!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #8
Trustee

I agree with bruce I'm sure that my next "best investment for the camera" will be a manual lens. But if they're as expensive as the JVC I might just go ahead with some sort of mini35 esque adapter.

Last edited by Nick Hiltgen; February 15th, 2006 at 12:14 PM.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
Vincent,
Could you explain more what you mean by "doesn't stop"? Are you talking about in manual mode, or in auto focus?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
As Chris says, yeah, I mean that the ring doesn't stop. But Im pretty good with it now after years and years with the XL1 16x lens, so the viewfinder as it is on the H1 is perfect for me.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders