About the focus preset speed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 19th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

About the focus preset speed

Elsewhere on the web, at another message board, somebody asked about the speed of the focus preset function on the XL H1. It's a good question, so I thought I'd bring it up here for the benefit of our own folks who may be wondering.

The focus preset speed on the XL H1 was brought over from the XL2; it's an identical operation. But if you're not familiar with the XL2, then the focus preset speed might take you by surprise, because no matter what speed you set it to, it's always fast.

Basically you have a menu option to set the speed of the focus preset function... that is, how fast the stock 20x HD lens will perform a programmable, repeatable rack focus move. The menu choices are L, M, and H for low, medium and high speed. However a more accurate way to describe these speeds is fast, faster and fastest. The "low speed" setting is very high, and there's not that much discernible difference between the three speeds. They're each pretty fast. The high setting is just a bit faster is all.

If you're relatively new to the XL H1, and you set the focus speed to "L" but get "fast" as a result, well, nothing is wrong really; except that Canon has a different idea than you do about what the focus preset "low speed" should be.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Thanks Chris. Now I understand, yet I'm still puzzled. I remember seeing a much slower focus transition effect with the FX1. I can't believe how fast that focus preset actually pulls focus. Sheesh, it's pretty ridiculous, IMHO.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 02:16 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
I remember seeing a much slower focus transition effect with the FX1.
No doubt that you did, Barlow... and I think that what you saw is perhaps best described as the significant difference between Canon and Sony's definitions of slow. It's a pretty fast "low-speed" on the Canon!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders