using a 2/3 inch lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

using a 2/3 inch lens

is there someone who has experiance with the XL-H1 with a 2/3 HD lens?
Is the optex adapter from 2/3 to XL-1 (LMB4XLC) a good choice to use a fujinon 25x16,5??
Thanks.
the Netherlands
Marc Plomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:26 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Marco,

The problem with this is the zoom motor / grip handle on the Fujinon lens... you would have to remove it, in order for the lens to fit onto the XL H1 camera. That's because the zoom grip handle on the XL H1 itself is not removeable. There's no way for the Fujinon lens to fit, without taking off its zoom motor / grip handle, and very few people who own these lenses are willing to butcher them (so to speak). Removing the zoom motor / grip handle from the lens requires more surgery than one might think.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

Thanks. That's too bad. I like the fujijnon 25x16,5 HD.

I'm curious if there is somebody who has modified his HVX 200 for other lenses?
the Netherlands
Marc Plomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Marc;
I just returned from a trip to shoot wolves and had an oportunity to use an Optex modified Canon 14.5 - 480 2/3" Super 16 lens with a PL - XL Mount. I mounted it to a Canon XL-H1 at 25 Degrees F below zero. I also used 35mm still camera lenses, 600 mm EF L, 300MM EF L, 50 -300 mm FD L and the Canon XL-20 HD lens. My opinion is that the XL HD lens was the better of the group as far as resolution and picture quality. I also used the 2/3" lens with an Optex doubler and it was not good. Focusing with all these lenses was difficult and needed to be precise.
However, to answer your question, the adapter worked fine, but with somewhat of a lack of quality found in the Canon lens equipment. Certainly not as easy to attach to the camera. You will definately need a RONSRAIL with that setup.
Ron Armstrong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders