New and Nice MINI35 shots. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 26th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #1
Major Player

New and Nice MINI35 shots.

OK, last week and this weekend I have been doing some shooting with H1 and Mini35. I connected the camera sdi output to my MAC and recorded to DVCPRO HD 50i. The result? Great, I am very happy, it took me two month of experimenting with mini, and finaly I am there. Very nice quality, no visible grain, (a little bit of soft focus) but everyone that saw the footage, thought it was 35mm film. And the best thing now is that, I had total of 5 days of shooting, total of 7 locations, and all of them turned out to be good, so we couldn't blame it on my luck.

Now of course I want to share my footage, and I have IDISK (mac) web space 1GB. But the problem is, that when I copy to the public folder a file that is more than 100MB, it gets stuck, I left it over the night, but it doesn't upload, and the also the bad part is that, for some reason, the space on my idisk gets less by exactly the same size as the file I tried to copy was. The space gets less, but file is not there.

If you tell me what could be the reason, and tell me how to solve it I will upload clips.

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old February 26th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Levan, what's the actual size of the file? I might be able to host it for you.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Well, there are several of them. total of 500mb would give me an opportunity to post all the different shots for comparison, but the smallest file is around 150mb, I am not in the office right now, I don't rememeber.

Oh, and thanks. :*)

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Even just one or two would be great!

Levan, if you can't get your iDisk to work I'll offer mine for a few days.

email me if you want to do that.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #5
Starway Pictures

Levan,

Please share your experiences with using the mini35. I'm about to shoot a project in April with the H1 and I'm seriously considering renting the mini35 adapter and some Zeiss primes.

Any notes on setup and things to avoid/do would be great!

Rob
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 01:10 AM   #6
Major Player

OK, I am working on my IDISK problem, right now it is morning in Georgia, so before it gets evening here (it will be morning US time) I hope I will solve the problem, and I will upload straight away, I might cut some smaller durations.

Now, with experience, this is what I can say (but again, I think you might as well know it yourself). I turned NR2 to high, it helps with grain. and also, I turned set sharpness to +9, because mini35 makes focus really soft and from my point of view sharpness compensates it. Also, I never go higher than 4 on my canon K35 lense aperture, but going just about 5,6 is also ok. Gain definatelly should be -3, so you will need more light in dark situations. the speed of GG on mini35 I put to 6, because when you have shutter speed of 1/50, it might get syncronized with rotation of GG at some point and then you see that something rotates in the picture. Oh, I don't know why, but I noticed that using ND filters is not a good idea, well I understand that there might be some situations when you have to use ND filters, than you need to be more carefull. Also, the most important thing is that you must use HD monitor, and not small and with good resolution. In my case I took my apple cinema HD monitor with me, when I set up the location, I did some recording and then previewed the picture full screen, this is the only way to notice some grain that is not visible in very good Sony SD monitor. Never trust the viewfinder of the camera or any small size monitor, that is 100%.

the aperture of the relay lens don't have effect on the grain at all, so you can close it as much as you want, but the best setup is to have both lens open as much as possible.

Oh, and don't use the clear skin function. I think, camera percieve the GG to be skin or something happens like that, and when this function is on, you get a worse result, but than again I am not sure on this one.

If you have any more questions, I will be more than happy to share.

Hopefully, in several hours I will have some clips up on server.

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:50 AM   #7
Major Player

Oh, and one more question. I captured everything via SDI output to DVCPRO HD 50i. So to which format do you want me to convet it to and how, to give PC users a chance to view it? I remember having this problem the last time, so I am not clear about it? Last time I did H.264 is it good enough?

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old February 27th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #8
Major Player

H264 is de best compression for those things yes, the PC user has to download the latest version of Quicktime to view it. Note: This is ony for viewing purposes, not for editing!
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:59 AM   #9
Major Player

OK. Then I will have h.264, that is easy, but when I convert I see that colors are changed in someway and the overall picture get more bright than it is with DVCPRO HD.

And you know, I was kind of surprised when I found out that DVCPRO HD is not supported by PC. Why? Or am I wrong here?

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old February 27th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #10
Starway Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levan Bakhia
OK, I am working on my IDISK problem, right now it is morning in Georgia, so before it gets evening here (it will be morning US time) I hope I will solve the problem, and I will upload straight away, I might cut some smaller durations.

Now, with experience, this is what I can say (but again, I think you might as well know it yourself). I turned NR2 to high, it helps with grain. and also, I turned set sharpness to +9, because mini35 makes focus really soft and from my point of view sharpness compensates it. Also, I never go higher than 4 on my canon K35 lense aperture, but going just about 5,6 is also ok. Gain definatelly should be -3, so you will need more light in dark situations. the speed of GG on mini35 I put to 6, because when you have shutter speed of 1/50, it might get syncronized with rotation of GG at some point and then you see that something rotates in the picture. Oh, I don't know why, but I noticed that using ND filters is not a good idea, well I understand that there might be some situations when you have to use ND filters, than you need to be more carefull. Also, the most important thing is that you must use HD monitor, and not small and with good resolution. In my case I took my apple cinema HD monitor with me, when I set up the location, I did some recording and then previewed the picture full screen, this is the only way to notice some grain that is not visible in very good Sony SD monitor. Never trust the viewfinder of the camera or any small size monitor, that is 100%.

the aperture of the relay lens don't have effect on the grain at all, so you can close it as much as you want, but the best setup is to have both lens open as much as possible.

Oh, and don't use the clear skin function. I think, camera percieve the GG to be skin or something happens like that, and when this function is on, you get a worse result, but than again I am not sure on this one.

If you have any more questions, I will be more than happy to share.

Hopefully, in several hours I will have some clips up on server.
Thank you very much for sharing your insight with us. Much appreciated.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #11
Trustee

can't wait...not true...I'll wait.
Cole McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #12
Major Player

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:58 AM   #13
Major Player

OK, so my IDISK has problems and I can't solve it, so I found the other web page for free sharing of files, and started uploading files there. At this moment, there is only one up and other are in progress.

http://rapidshare.de/files/14333520/1.mov.html

when you enter the adress, you will be asked the option for download service, and you have to choose free or premium. Free works well, but you will be limited per one download at a time.

as soon as other files will be there I will post new links.

Also, please consider that when I converted files to h.264 they became brighter and saturation of colors lowered. In original format they are much better.

Also files where you will see horses are shot with 50i mode no 25F and they are not in DVCPRO HD, they all are recorded on tape, on the other hand all the other materials are shot in DVCPRO HD 50i.

So, I will be waiting for you comments, as I am very interested in you suggestions if there are some improvement I might be able to make in future.

Oh, and scene with horses are overexposed, that is intentional, we wanted to achieve that kind of look there, kind of not realistic.

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old February 28th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #14
Major Player

Ok, the new ones

http://rapidshare.de/files/14336692/2.mov.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/14339581/3.mov.html

2 more are on the way.

www.sarke.ge
----------------

Last edited by Levan Bakhia; February 28th, 2006 at 09:04 AM.
Levan Bakhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #15
Major Player

the new two dont work for me

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders