Infrared picture with XL H1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 5th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Infrared picture with XL H1

I know this thread might not belong 100% here, but I was wondering if it is possible to achieve infrared video with xl h1. I mean, if you have seen those INFRARED PHOTOGRAPHY you know what I mean. A lot of digital still cameras can achieve this effect. I don't exactly know how but, I was wondering if digital still cameras can capture infrared pictures, why XL H1 or any other digital video camera should be limited in this? I really would love to shoot something with that effect. So if you know of any way of doing that please share the thoughts. (do I need to get a filter, can it be achieved digitally in post, or anything else)

Thanks to all who will share :*)

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old March 5th, 2006, 05:03 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't think it's possible...

...with the H1. Or? You can borrow mine Sony HDR-HC1, HDV with infrared recording option. I have never used it in IRL, but it seems quite funky - if you looking for the "stealth" style. Litepanels have a infrared lightpanel for IR - have a look at www.litepanels.com.
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom

Last edited by Jonas Nystrom; March 5th, 2006 at 05:36 AM.
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #3
Wrangler

See the following, and also this website which is mentioned in one of the threads: http://dpfwiw.com/ir.htm

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=11897
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45712
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=16398
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 08:31 AM   #4
Major Player

thanks for the links. I hope they will help :*)

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Levan - surprised no one mentioned software solutions. I believe digitalfilmtools has a filter as well as eureka. Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Kurth,

I just visited the digitalfilmtools web page. As I understand it is a plugin right? So what is called the effect? Is it in the Final Cut Pro plugin or Shake?

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #7
Major Player

Levan ,I haven't used it but I believe you can buy it for fcp or ae.Yes it's just a plugin filter. Also check out the eureka plugins for fcp. I believe they have a ir filter for free for fcp4 or higher. kurth
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman
Levan ,I haven't used it but I believe you can buy it for fcp or ae.Yes it's just a plugin filter. Also check out the eureka plugins for fcp. I believe they have a ir filter for free for fcp4 or higher. kurth

I could find IR filter on Eureka site. Maybe I am not looking at the right place. But thanks anyways.

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #9
Major Player

Levan - It's in the free plugin package. Kurth
Old March 11th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #10
Major Player

That green chunk of glass that's staring you in the eye when you remove the lens is the IR filter. Sony's nightshot is acheived by removing that filter from the optical path. You could probably remove yours with a screwdriver or a tiny hammer........Actually I thought about trying to pry mine out but without a line on a replacement thought better of it. Good Luck, Jason.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders