Problem with firewire connection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 7th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Tourist

Problem with firewire connection

I have had the H1 for about 4 months and have recently come across a problem. When I plug in the 4 pin firewire cable, the HDV/DV IN message blinks on the viewfinder. I have no deck control. This is a recent probelm as I have captured hours of footage from the camera prior to this.

Final Cut 5 slows to a crawl when the firewire cable is connected (I tried 3 different cables). iMovie claims there is no device connected. Even DVHSCap and HDVxDV get no signal at all.

I have tried it on my G5 PowerMac and G4 Powerbook. Even tried it with a friend's Powerbook running FCP HD (with the H1 set to Downconvert).

This goes for both attempts to capture DV and HDV.

The same configuration works fine with a Sony FX1, so the cable and the tape are excluded as issues.

I have tried setting Playback to both Auto and HDV playback. I have also tried with HD Downcovert on and off.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I take it into a Canon Service Center?
Nick Rossier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Maybe a not so good answer...

..but anyhow, I came across the same problem two month ago. I couldn't get FCP to capture until discovered i had changed the signal setup to component out (I think it was, therefore "maybe a not so good answer...). But as I read your thread, it seems like you tried everything!
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders