SDI uncompressed Recorder + monitor - Page 3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 24th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #31
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Basel area, Switzerland
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levan Bakhia
Did the first file play ok ?
Yes, it played fine for me, and the quality was excellent! (G5 Quad w/ GF 7800 GT) It should play fine on any beefy Windoze workstation with QT 7.x installed...
__________________
Ronald P. Pfister
halimedia - digital solutions and services
www.halimedia.com
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #32
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pfister
Yes, it played fine for me, and the quality was excellent! (G5 Quad w/ GF 7800 GT) It should play fine on any beefy Windoze workstation with QT 7.x installed...

:*) Great but, what about non-MAC users, did anyone play it?
__________________
____________

www.sarke.ge
----------------
____________
Levan Bakhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #33
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 658
Levan,
Great work !
the kidgas.mov was the only file I was able to get from Rapidshare - but it played fine on my Mac .
It is beautiful - I see the work of the Mini 35 !
Very nicely done !
There are still a few blocky compression artifacts (like even in the sky with the ttail of the plane in it) but these are coming from the NLE, I assume when it makes a .mov file.
Again, great to see!
Thank you for posting these !
J
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #34
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Basel area, Switzerland
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levan Bakhia
:*) Great but, what about non-MAC users, did anyone play it?
I just upgraded my Windoze box (a Dell Dimension 2400 w/ 2.4 GHz Celeron and some measly Intel shared-memory GPU) to QT 7.0.4. The kidgas.mov played (albeit choppily, but I can't expect more from this box), and neither QT nor WM Player knew what to do with the .avi-file.

Levan: What lens do you use with the mini-35?

Cheers,

Ron
__________________
Ronald P. Pfister
halimedia - digital solutions and services
www.halimedia.com
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #35
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton
Levan,
Great work !
the kidgas.mov was the only file I was able to get from Rapidshare - but it played fine on my Mac .
It is beautiful - I see the work of the Mini 35 !
Very nicely done !
There are still a few blocky compression artifacts (like even in the sky with the ttail of the plane in it) but these are coming from the NLE, I assume when it makes a .mov file.
Again, great to see!
Thank you for posting these !
J

So, yes, I forgot to mention that they didn't let me take my G5 with Raid in the airport, so only this shot is not uncompressed, it is HDV recorded on tape. :*)

Ron - I use canon K35 lenses
__________________
____________

www.sarke.ge
----------------
____________
Levan Bakhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #36
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Basel area, Switzerland
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton
There are still a few blocky compression artifacts (like even in the sky with the ttail of the plane in it) but these are coming from the NLE, I assume when it makes a .mov file.
I have a question regarding image quality in the kidgas.mov: particularly through the first two cuts (wooden door, green carpet, bird in cage), the image looks almost surreal with a somewhat posterized quality. This is particularly noticable when viewing stills. Is this present in the master as well, or is it due to the MPEG-4 AVC encoding?

NB: I'm not at all saying that I don't like the way these scenes look - I'm just curious whether what I noticed was intended or not.

TIA,

Ron
__________________
Ronald P. Pfister
halimedia - digital solutions and services
www.halimedia.com
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #37
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pfister
I have a question regarding image quality in the kidgas.mov: particularly through the first two cuts (wooden door, green carpet, bird in cage), the image looks almost surreal with a somewhat posterized quality. This is particularly noticable when viewing stills. Is this present in the master as well, or is it due to the MPEG-4 AVC encoding?

NB: I'm not at all saying that I don't like the way these scenes look - I'm just curious whether what I noticed was intended or not.

TIA,

Ron
Honestly, I don't understand what you mean by MPEG-4 AVC encoding. What I can say is that stills are from original source, uncompressed. Well, everybody that sees the door (the first cut) says that it is 3D generated and it is not the real one. But it is a real shot.

And What is posterized quality?
__________________
____________

www.sarke.ge
----------------
____________
Levan Bakhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:39 AM   #38
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Basel area, Switzerland
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levan Bakhia
Honestly, I don't understand what you mean by MPEG-4 AVC encoding.
That's another term for H.264 - see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264
Quote:
Well, everybody that sees the door (the first cut) says that it is 3D generated and it is not the real one. But it is a real shot.
Amazing! Did you grade it or otherwise manipulate it in post, or is it close to how you shot it? If I look at the uncompressed still of the door (uncompressed 10.tga), it still has this look. Is this grab from the raw uncompressed footage or did you grab it after grading/editing?
Quote:
And What is posterized quality?
See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posterization

Cheers,

Ron
__________________
Ronald P. Pfister
halimedia - digital solutions and services
www.halimedia.com
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #39
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pfister

Amazing! Did you grade it or otherwise manipulate it in post, or is it close to how you shot it? If I look at the uncompressed still of the door (uncompressed 10.tga), it still has this look. Is this grab from the raw uncompressed footage or did you grab it after grading/editing?

Ron
No, the frame grabs are from the original uncompressed .mov files, before any grading at all. The clip is graded, unfortunatelly, when converted to h.264 you don't see the actuall colors, but trust me it is beutifull, and you have a lot of room for color grading. I do it in final touch HD.

Thanks for explanaitions. :*)
__________________
____________

www.sarke.ge
----------------
____________
Levan Bakhia is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network