SDI uncompressed Recorder + monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 11th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #1
Major Player

SDI uncompressed Recorder + monitor

OK, I just did my own solution of uncompressed recorder + HD monitor. I will upload pictures later but I will describe it now:

I ordered a box, where I firmly attached my G5, which is connected to HUGE raid in the same box. On the back side of the box there is a slide, where I will mount a 23'' apple cinema display, so that I can slide the monitor up and down very easy. on the top of the box there is a keyboard and mouse, attached to the box. The box has multidirectional weels and hadgrips. So you can either roll the box, from location to location, or pick it up and carry. Everything is preconnected inside the box so. And there is a power cord comming out of the side of the box. This power cord is connected to 100meter long power cable on the roll. Also there is a long SDI cable comming out of G5's decklink card, which will connect to the camera.

The result, I get a uncompressed HD recording solution, togather with HD field monitor. So, togather with my XL H1 and mini35 I get quite a nice solution, that perfectly substitudes for 35mm film.

Oh, and those who have seen my previouse mini35 shots, I have to comment it. Many have said that there was a focusing problem, which was also abviouse to me. I thought it was due to the mini35 itself. But then I found out that, my relay lens was not perfectly focused on the ground glass, so after I adjusted the focus I have very sharp focus, well not as sharp as with original lens, but sharp enough, and as I mentioned before, sharpness is not what I like at all.

Now, that I have done some shooting (I continue over this weekend) with the mini35 (well focused) and uncompressed solution, I achieved jaw dropping results, because when I do color correction of the footage, there is so much freedome, that I have a feeling that I am working on 35mm footage. And the greatest thing is that I needed at least 3-5k for a good field HD monitor, not even mentioning price of the uncompressed recorder. The whole setup here is about 12K and I get the editing machine on the same time.

I will post pictures, tomorrow.

and If anyone can suggest how can I post uncompressed video I would love to share. At least I will post framegrabs.

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old March 11th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Yahoo !

Brilliant !

Levan,
First things first:
-What kind of relay lens are you using with the Micro 35 ?
This is Very important to me and I can't wait to see your results. PM me if it's easier.
- Second, I have been thinking along these lines as well. It's a brilliant idea andd I can't wait to see your results !!!

This is why I got the H1 - this kind of abiliy and functionality
Very Very Very Nice -
Thanks for posting and keep the updates coming !

John
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levan Bakhia
OK, I just did my own solution of uncompressed recorder + HD monitor. I will upload pictures later but I will describe it now:

I ordered a box, where I firmly attached my G5, which is connected to HUGE raid in the same box.
Hi Levan,

Would you talk a bit more about your RAID system ? Which controller are you using ? How many hard-drives ? Which RAID level ?

Thanks
Rodrigo Otaviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Levan,

That's fantastic! I'm so glad to hear that you improved the focus -- can't wait to see some grabs from that, plus of course pictures of that beast you've built. Very cool.

Nice to have you leading the way. By the way, the free service that you used for your clips before worked fine for me, quite a few clicks and small wait to get the data, but that's not a big deal. I would love to get even a two second clip uncompressed just to see exactly what you're getting.

In addition to the details of your RAID system, I wouldn't mind a recap on exactly what hanging off the front of your XL-H1.
John Cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #5
Trustee

Drat Levan, you posted my million dollar idea (I had it two days ago) with the size of some of the old CRT monitors it seemed that building an LCD monitor with attached Hard drives wouldn't be a great alternative (though heavy) I like the mounting of the monitor on the side of the computer (or raid array) have you visited macmod.com? someone did something very similar a little while back (I believe it was so the computer could fit in a dorm room). Anyhow I think the monitor/storage idea is the next step in video monitoring and production. Now we just need a way to make the whole thing smaller...
Old March 11th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Got home back, after whole day of shooting. I will upload few clips here on monday. I am glad you all liked the idea :*).

I have HUGE SYSTEMS u320-RX. I think it is raid 3.

@John Benton,

I use mini35 not micro35. I use the standard realy lens that comes in the box with mini35.

@John Cordell,

I will post as much as I can. Pictures are great. I did some color correction. Even with hardest color correction picture quaility doesn't degrade at all.

As for the lenses, I use PL mount K35 canon lenses.

@Nick

No I have not seen macmod.com thing. :*)

So, I promise that you will see some great footage on monday. Unforunatelly I will not be able to upload more than 100mb of files, and that is just 2 second of ucnompressed I guess. But at least you will see something.

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old March 11th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #7
Major Player

That is a HUGE Raid system !
Dang.
This is great - I can't wait to see whats going on here -

Last edited by John Benton; March 12th, 2006 at 09:06 AM.
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Can we seen a photo of that box?
I've been considering something like that myself and I'm interested about how big it is.
Pete Tomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Walter Biscardi did this a while ago...

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bi..._hd/index.html
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #10
Major Player

I am in admirationn of Levan's design.
But as I don't have the same money to invest,
I am trying to find a cheaper, somwhat portable way to grab the Raw HD
There is the solution I think Pappas or Elton suggested awhile ago:
(I have some access to a friends G5) that I was thinkiing of getting a Kona card for (600$) and having a few 500$ 500Gig Raid drives

I also hope that we may see something at NAB, bot am not holding my breath.

Any other ideas. I would love to strap a mini to my back but cant get a card in there
Waifan's too much
thanks
J
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #11
Regular Crew

how many hard drive do you need in RAID to be able to capture HD-SDI live?
Guillaume Tremblay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #12
Regular Crew

how about an apple x server rackmounted will it run the software?
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume Tremblay
how many hard drive do you need in RAID to be able to capture HD-SDI live?
I have six 15k rpm ultra320 scsi with my G5 and it works perfectly.

vince
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #14
Trustee

Price might be the killer but the Wafian recorder might be a solution worth looking into. Still need a monitor though.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #15
Starway Pictures

Unless Wafian releases an Intel Mac version, I'd have to build a Mac/Raid setup.

Of course I'd only do this if I were shooting a feature film. For short form projects I'm content with HDV. I haven't experienced one image breakout due to MPEG compression on the H1 yet. It appears Canon's resampling the image multiple times for recording to tape.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders