Storing H1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 14th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #1
New Boot

Storing H1

Is it safe to store the H1 in a pelicase with silica gel for more than a month in humid country? Or what would be the best storage solution? Thanks in advance.
Ronald A. Halder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

H1 and humidity

I can't directly answer your question. However, I can report that I have been using the XL H1 on a sportfishing boat filming the action (marlin and mahi mahi fishing off Cabo San Lucas) . The camera is constantly subjected to salt spray (I have to clean the lens constantly), rough seas, wild fishing action, and lots of general abuse. The camera has been on the boat twice now for 2-3 weeks each time with no problems, no malfunctions and no apparent damage. We are capturing direct from the HDSDI output into Avid and we are not using tape, which may be part of the reason it is holding up so well.

Anyway, given what our camera has been through I am sure you can safely store it as you suggest.
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Devlin
I can't directly answer your question. However, I can report that I have been using the XL H1 on a sportfishing boat filming the action (marlin and mahi mahi fishing off Cabo San Lucas) . The camera is constantly subjected to salt spray (I have to clean the lens constantly), rough seas, wild fishing action, and lots of general abuse. The camera has been on the boat twice now for 2-3 weeks each time with no problems, no malfunctions and no apparent damage. We are capturing direct from the HDSDI output into Avid and we are not using tape, which may be part of the reason it is holding up so well.

Anyway, given what our camera has been through I am sure you can safely store it as you suggest.
Ronald A. Halder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Mike,

What are you using in between the camera and Avid to be able to use SDI.

Best regards

Mike
Mike Leisegang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Since Michael is using Avid Adrenaline (see his signature) I presume he's using the Avid board which comes with it. It has SDI inputs on it.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Just wondering how it is done on a fishing boat etc.

Surley Michael can reply to this.

Best regards

Mike.
Mike Leisegang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

We are using the Avid Adrenaline with the DNxcel board. Normally we use the Adrenaline with the Avid recommended HP8200 configurations (we are a hard core avid shop). For the boat we are using a 1 Beyond laptop instead of the HP. We are having a few issues, but it works pretty well. If we are successful I believe 1 Beyond may do a press release and show some of this at NAB.

This configuration basically gives us the equilavlent capability of what we use use for all our Studio or Post work. That way at the end of each day we can do rough cut edits and basic effects (slo-mo, disolves, scaling and positioning (Avid's 3D warp effect), etc.). Saves time and disc space.

We are on a fairly large Viking Convertible Sportfishing boat, so we have good power and plenty of room. For example, the boat has a 61" Runco plasma, so we are set for a monitor!

Once we get back to the States I will try to post a few clips. We are learning lots about using the XL H1 in this situation. For example, slow motion effects (required for catching the action when marlin are jumping and greyhounding) work best with a fast shutter (1/250) and deep focus (no real surprise) which then makes the full res of the H1 available in post with no motion blur for layering other effects. You can always add blur later!!
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #8
Trustee

I'm really interested in your set up using the H1 on a boat, Michael. My only problem is that not only do I often film from a boat, but also from a canoe, or run-and-gun from the shoreline, and even trekking via backpack to wild river/lake locations...so carrying all the extra power supply and equipment with me is not always an option.

How do you film with your H1 when you are shooting away from the boat - or do you ONLY film from the platform of a Viking?

Are you supplying your H1 footage direct to a television network as HDV, or also down-converting some footage to normal SD-DVD for national retail sales?
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #9
Regular Crew

When we shoot untethered with the H1 (no HD-SDI cable) we use a Firestore FS-4. We master everything, no matter how we capture it, using Avid DNxHD 220 10-bit (Avid's 220bps intermediate form optimized for mutli-generational post). We can then generate any format we need from Avid. We are not yet to the point of national distribution, but we will let you know how it goes!
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #10
Trustee

Mike,

I spend a lot of time around the salt water and know how nasty the stuff can get. Are you using a housing for the camera body or how do you keep the body clean and or relatively dry?

Ken.
Ken Diewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #11
Regular Crew

We have a rain cover we bought at B&H, but we have not been using it all that much. Mostly we just try to keep it from getting too wet, and we clean it every night. Fine salt spray is the biggest problem. We do use a UV filter on the lens.

I do worry that there might be corrosion going on internally that I cannot see, but so far the H1 is working great with no problems. Canon seems to have done a good job designing the camera to keep out the elements.
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #12
Trustee

I use a Kata raincover during rain and snow, as it keeps out the worst of storms. A special Ewa Canon XL underwater bag is best for when you need to lean over the gunwale to dunk the camera under the water during sub-surface or split sky/underwater sequences as the fish come near the boat.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders