HDV AUDIO Help - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 18th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #16
Trustee

One Microphone I would recommend from Sennheiser for dialog is the MKH 60 for a wider pattern. The MKH-416 is also a good boom mic indoors/outdoors since it is physically smaller than the MKH 816 but it is harder to cover a group of people since the pattern is tighter than the MKH 60. MKH 816 is great but very hard to use in NYC locations due to its length. Also its pattern is very tight so it is hard to cover two people without panning back and forth which can give you presence changes in the dialog if you miss the timing.
Schoeps mics are also great. They have different capsules to change the characteristic of the mic. Try a Hypercardiod pattern.
You might want to consider renting the right mic rather than buying one since they are all over a thousand dollars without the windscreens and mounts you will want for them. If you have dialog outside don't be surprised if wind speeds above 10 MPH means you need more than a Rycote Softie to keep the sound clean.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #17
Major Player

Sorry Daniel, you're right. I meant 416 (I had an 816 and sold it to buy the 416).. I'm not good with product numbers (can't come close to remembering the # of my AT mike) - I especially hate all the Xs and Zs in these camera numbers - what's that all about?

Anyway, yes, the 416 is the best mike for 90% of shooting. I had a voice-over recorded at a major production house in LA several years ago - it was with Jack Lemmon, shortly before he died - I wanted, for obvious reasons, the best quality recording, so I paid for it - I was very surprised that the engineer used a 416 - he liked the clean quality and felt that it left him room to optimize the audio through his board.. Steve Rosen
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thank you so much everyone!!!
Gilbert Khoury is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders